Blood Pressure meds

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CTflyer

Anyone go thru the certification process if they have to control BP with medication....I was just wondering about procedure to notify the FAA if you have to take meds and you still have about 3 months before your next medical.

Is there a 2 week grounding when you start the meds before you can get certified??

Was just curious about procedure......

And I am on a better diet and exercise plan to loose weight to get the BP down....

Thanks

First of all make sure your ame is geared towards pilots, ie not your family doctor that hands out third class medicals occasionally, I see you fly 7-5s so I assume you understand. Call your ame and ask but don't tell, you have three months to get back in shape and get it down. Better to work your ass off now than go down this road with the Feds. If you end up having problems, it is certainly not a career killer. I deal with it every six months and even know people that have a first class after a bypass(rare). Mine is special issue after an Mild MI (smoking related plus family history). Anyway, your family doc can probably start you on lisiniprol(diuretic)now, then when you go in for your medical disclose it, talk to your ame now! ...when I busted on bp, I had to be cathed before they would reissue which took about 6 weeks.
Brother! Seriously! Hit the gymn and hopefully that corrects the bp! Good luck

Two week waiting period to make sure no problems with medication. You will get blood work from doc to show no issues with potassium levels. In the beginning there will be a need for BP checks for several days in a row with a letter from doc saying all is well and under control.

Honestly, it's no big deal. Don't delay something that can/will harm you further down the road if left unchecked.

I'm going through this right now. Some of the information I've gathered.

The FAA changed the rules/procedures earlier this year. High BP is no longer disqualifying, nor does it require a special issuance medical. All that is required, is a letter from your treating Doctor, that it's controlled, you have no side effects. This letter stays with your AME, it won't even go to OKC.

Do hit the gym/diet/don't drink/smoke. If you can control it without drugs, do it!

I never thought I'd want to go back to work this bad. But take care of your health first.

And don't take a flight physical, if you are going to bust it (155/95). It's a much bigger deal if you bust the medical, than if you treat it first.

Latest resources

Back