blackwater flying?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I guess I'm just too old.

I will never understand how this Nation has fallen so far that we have allowed our military to get so nutless that we have to hire mercenaries to fight a limited war. So much for the "two world war" manning that beat the Soviet Union.

This is not a slam against the guys (and girls, like I said, old) who are doing the job. It just seems to me that we had a better system when the military was self sufficient and supporting. Now there is a train of camp followers reminiscent of the Civil War.

Speaking of all this stuff...What is the deal with the CASA, Be-1900 and Be-200 jobs in Afghanistan that Evergreen is advertizing for? Pilots in both seats on all three types with NVG experience a plus...Would really like to hear from someone that has some information. Just sent the resume in. thanks!

JCJ said to read the article about Blackwater, but I think it is more telling about USAF leadership. Anyone else who read the entire article, including the link to the charge sheet, get a sick feeling about the current state of our leadership? The effect of proceeding with these charges would be a denial of self defense in a combat zone - and what the hell is up with the conduct unbecoming charges because they cursed? These guys were nearly railroaded - and how about the prosecution showing a little due diligence and trying to determine if the video was valid and the witnesses were coerced before offering them as evidence? And then there is this quote "Both defense

counsel state that their clients have been systematically denied their rights under RCM 304, 305 and 707."
Hopefully, someone will grow a spine and do the right thing in this instance.

Good to know our leaders are at least working on new uniforms. Maybe they would do less damage if they focused all fo their efforts on that endeavor.

Last edited:
Air Force pilots have training like this?!?!

"They fell back on their training. Hall and Brown got out of the vehicle with their weapons and ordered Bergeron to the ground. When he refused, they tried to force him down. And when that proved unsuccessful, Brown raised his weapon and clicked off the safety. According to the officers, only then did Bergeron comply and tell them he was American. Before leaving, Brown threw Bergeron’s keys into a bush so he wouldn’t be able to follow them when they departed, and they then went to the Camp Eggers Provost Marshal’s office to report the incident."

I wouldn't call it tactical, yet - but the USAF is finally getting around to realizing that they need to give people military training. For many billets, there are short training programs that are meant to be a quick spin-up before deployment - and sometimes indoc covers that stuff once you get into theater. These programs only cover those who will be on the ground in and amongst the people. They certainly aren't referring to a generic, everybody in the USAF receives it kind of training.

I will never understand how this Nation has fallen so far that we have allowed our military to get so nutless that we have to hire mercenaries to fight a limited war.

Contractors aren't mercinaries any more than a US Marine who gets paid a days wages is a mercinary. The nation hasn't fallen at all. Just wised up and become more efficient.

I hear that Avbug is over there,

Avbug gets to go stateside in two days. And is pretty darn tickled about it, too.

Why send a soldier to drive supply trucks between Kuwait and Iraq when you can hire a civilian to do it and put that soldier on the front line? Thats generally what the logic is behind contractors.

I guess I'm just too old.

I will never understand how this Nation has fallen so far that we have allowed our military to get so nutless that we have to hire mercenaries to fight a limited war. So much for the "two world war" manning that beat the Soviet Union.

This is not a slam against the guys (and girls, like I said, old) who are doing the job. It just seems to me that we had a better system when the military was self sufficient and supporting. Now there is a train of camp followers reminiscent of the Civil War.

That's an easy one it's called keynesian economic theory. Our present example (OIF/OEF) is more keynesian law than theory/hypothesis or postulation.

Saw a book today at Barnes and Noble that claims Blackwater is a secret army put together by a radical Christian, funded by the Government, that threatens our very democracy. Of course, that's idiotic, but it does bring up a few interesting points about the "contractors" over there. Not in the sense that Badger was talking about, but in the sense of the ex-CIA, ex-SF, ex-FBI, ex-Whatever guys that Blackwater typically hires. Most of these men are highly trained, highly educated, highly motivated, and trustworthy. They provide security for high level officials and also help train Iraqis and Americans, and also probably do a host of "other" things not so savory. As many recent articles have pointed out, there's a definite grey area for these types of guys in theater - they're not subject to UCMJ, not subject to military authority, and generally not subject to host nation laws either. I think the main problem with BW is the fact that the are indeed "shadowy" and not many people (myself included) know much about what they do or why the US is hiring them. Anytime there's a lack of info out there people will speculate, usually negatively. And I don't think it's a stretch to call them Mercenaries. Contractors is just a nice little word so it doesn't sound so bad.

Latest resources

Back