Black Box Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
LOL = laugh out loud

Yea, black boxes are usually painted bright orange/red. A distinct colour, along with the strips of reflective tape attached to the recorders' exteriors. This help investigators locate the black boxes following an accident. It is especially useful when it lands in water.

People call them black boxes as some believe that they are painted black in the past, others believe that they are black is due to the charring that occurs in the post-accident fires.

I learned in a physics class that the easiest color to see by humans is yellow or greenish yellow.

Really? I thought that was the dog's vision?
By the way, i'm not sure if it applies to your country but from where i'm from, they use to test your eye for astig with red and green colour. So shouldn't red and green be the one? Or green being the brighter one and red being the softer one?

Thanks

(s)Seair :)

Actually (and a little off the subject) the colors black and yellow will give you the most contrast.
j

Why not paint it like a $100 bill and send some women out to find them?

oops, did I say that?

That was a politically incorrect statement fueler.... I love it.
j

Why not paint it like a $100 bill and send some women out to find them?

If the women was me, i will bet that you get nothing out of me :D
Seriously, there are more guys that are money minded then women than you have expected. It is just that they do not spend them in shopping where it is wide open to public eyes.
Although i classify myself as not one of these women mention above, i get "disgusted" at their spending habits :mad: Sorry ladies but i do not comment nor make such statements out of it. Just ignor it and get on with life
Look at those aviation enthu boys, willing to spend much on models and stuff... They could even buy the whole airport if they could afford it! But, this is only to the aviation world. Others who are not in the aviation might not notice it or even have the slightest clue about aviation enthu's world. Look at those who persue their interest in cameras? Tonnes of money spent on upgrading their cameras', different range of lenses for different contet shots. If you want to argue the point that you are buying useful stuff and is towards hobbies, then why can't women say that they too are buying useful stuff (don't tell me you do not wear clothes) and shopping is their hobby?

P.S: I hate shopping but why can't everyone get on with their life as their life, then commenting on others as spending habits and consider themselves with better spending habits when it's more or less the same? So what if i'm different from the ladies? Doesn't like shopping of their kind. They too shouldn't comment and so applies to you!

Seair said:
People call them black boxes as some believe that they are painted black in the past, others believe that they are black is due to the charring that occurs in the post-accident fires.

Really? I thought that was the dog's vision?
By the way, i'm not sure if it applies to your country but from where i'm from, they use to test your eye for astig with red and green colour. So shouldn't red and green be the one? Or green being the brighter one and red being the softer one?

They really were black...according to a factual documentary I saw on black boxes.

Dogs are colorblind, aren't they? I don't think the astigmatism test has anything to do with it.

If you think about it, the colors go Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Violet. Red is at the low end of the spectrum, Violet is on the high end, and Yellow and Green are in the middle. So it makes sense that we most easily see the colors that are in the middle of the spectrum.

Last edited:
Yea, red/green colour blind :D
Dogs are dichromatic and can distinguish only two colours: blue and yellow. They are unable to recognize green, orange or red.
Most of their colour spectrum are yellow.

Cheers

(s)Seair

Last edited:
Black because...

Henry Ford said so.

If you look in the avionics bay of an airliner, I think you'll see nearly all the boxes are black. It's easy; It's cheap; It dries fast (the Ford reason).

But there might be another reason for calling the recorders "black boxes". "Black Box" is a venerable old term used by engineers and scientists to describe a device that you don't know and/or don't care how its innards look and work. All you care about is that it performs its function.

Latest resources

Back