Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

atlcrashpad

Can't hold me down
The Bankruptcy Court in Minneapolis ruled against pilots and other employees of Mesaba Airlines, which operates as a Northwest Airlink partner. Mesaba has been in bankruptcy since Oct. 13, 2005. A week ago, on Friday, February 3, management filed an 1113 (c) motion seeking authorization to reject its contracts with pilots, flight attendants, and mechanics and impose 19.4 percent total labor cost reductions from its pilots, including a 60 percent increase in health insurance premiums. Together these two proposals alone would undercut wages and benefit standards at other comparable airlines. Pilot pay currently starts at $21,000 per year. The cuts that Mesaba proposed are drastic -- in 2012, a starting pilot who elects family health insurance will gross just $10,700 annually.

10,700!!!

That is almost as bad as PFT. Not to much difference. I cant imagine the company will get any takers other than a hand full. Most will leave as soon as they realize how low $10,700 really is. Even if you are single and get min health care, you wouldn't be able to survive. This industry is getting worse every day.:smash:

atlcrashpad said:
in 2012, a starting pilot who elects family health insurance will gross just $10,700 annually.

Holy crap... We are going backwards! That is less than I made as a new hire FO at TSA in 1999, and I thought that was bad!

Hey Duane, are you listening you hoser?

Good luck Mesaba boys and gals...

Tim47SIP said:
That is almost as bad as PFT. Not to much difference. I cant imagine the company will get any takers other than a hand full. Most will leave as soon as they realize how low $10,700 really is. Even if you are single and get min health care, you wouldn't be able to survive. This industry is getting worse every day.:smash:

They will get plenty to go there, especially if hiring slows at the other regionals. Go to vero beach or daytona beach and check out the parking lots of the flight schools. They are littered with new mustangs, audi TTs, the occasional corvette. These kids live fine on no income while paying for flight training. They can totally take the job at mesaba. When I was a captain at colgan, I rarely had an FO that wasn't better off financially then me.

Can anyone tell me what jobs those kid's parents have. That's the next job I want.

Politics, oil business, attorneys and strip joints. I know, I dropped alot of coin the last time I used any of these services.

Last edited:
you just take my words, those bankruptcy judges for NWA and mesaba are on someones payroll. When they retire, they will have a seat on some board of directors associated with MAIR or NWA or one of Polads many companies. If that is not the case, i cannot imagine why a judge would make the ruling they have? How can the government tell people to make lower than what is able to live on? And imagine a professional(judge lawyer.....executive) making less than 20 or 30 grand? No you cannot.

I think ALPA has seriously driopped the ball on this, they seriously screwed the pooch on this one. there needs to be a stop to this slide to the bottom, i thought we had already seen it at MEsa, but ALPA has allowed US at XJ to get screwed over. What needs to happen, is a set bottom, a set payscale and have every regional walk out til its honored at every regional. But that cannot happen because these f ing union pilots are in are only self serving and there is no coheision.

I hope US at XJ will say no to whatever they offer.....i would rather close th doors than work for 20 grand again. Oh and F OFF to all of you ALPA Fu#ks who will fly the routes we vacate....seriously.....where are the unions of past where a baseball bat would take care of our execs and the judges......

Latest resources

Back