"bird Strike" Faa

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Roxalana

I hit a bird a few days ago. Corporate Saftey just called and said the FAA was investigating it!!! guess this is their new thing......

Safety.

I hit a bird a few days ago. Corporate Saftey just called and said the FAA was investigating it!!! guess this is their new thing......

The FAA will find that the birds are not in compliance with the FARs. They will ground all bird flights until they apply for their "flight proficient" endorsements on the newly issued bird certificates. Then the FAA will A/D all birds requiring them to have mode C transponders and then make them file flight plans. The airlines will then complain that the birds should have to pay 2/3 the cost of the ATC system and landing fees. United Airlines will lower their airfare in order to compete with the bird's cost. SouthWest will RFP the birds for small wing lift and won't have a need to hedge fuel. MESA will trap the birds and force them to fly for seeds. ALPA will try and unionize the birds. The birds will become divided and begin walking thereby screwing everyone. Dumb FAA.

eP.

Did you write it up as a discrepancy and then fill out the bird strike form?

I almost got investigated by the FAA for this very same thing. I landed in Denver and thought I hit a bird on rollout. I told the tower about it and proceeded to my gate. I had MX meet me at the airplane in anticipation of writing it up. However on post flight we could not find any evidence that I hit a bird. I swapped planes and flew out for my overnight. That night I got a call from the company stating that the FAA was opening a letter of investigation on me. Apparently when you tell the tower that you may have hit a bird, they automatically tell the local FSDO. Well the fed came out to my plane (after I left) and found no writeup. All hell was going to break loose until I told them about the fact that we found no evidence that I hit a bird and that I reported that I 'might' have hit a bird. Everything went away but it was enough to get the blood pumping!

:puke:The FAA "investigating" us after reporting bird strikes may just make lost of people simply stop reporting them, out of fear of getting investigated.

I used to report bird stikes every time I hit a bird, including the whole 9 yards...a maintenance logbook entry, discrepancy, birdstrike form, etc. I believe now I'll think twice before opening myself up to scrutinization by that stupid kneejerk reaction FAA. The last thing I want to be doing on my days off is talking to some fed and worrying about my career because the FAA decided to open a letter of investigation on me. Total BS

Just write something like "suspected birdstrike on landing" MX came out and looked over the airplane - they could have easily signed off the birdstrike inspection. CYA!!

It's not that you hit a bird or MAY have hit a bird. The FAA's hard-on is that you're not 100% sure, maintenance was called but there was no write up. WRITE IT UP. A birdstrike inspection doesn't take long (I've had it done during a quick turn) and your a$$ is covered.

My 'bird' story happened many years ago back in my commuter days. The lesson learned was this. If you tell the tower you had a bird strike or you think you had one, write it up no matter what. Remember, the local FSDO will be notified.

If you think there may be damage to the aircraft what ever kind, you write it up - MX clears it or schedules it to be fixed. End of story. What a bunch of sissy Marys.

I cut a deer in half one night landing. It messed up the aircraft. I reported it. There was an investigation. My statement was "I hit a deer on landing" signed Capt. XXX. It was over in one day. It took MX three days to fix the aircraft. No big deal.

A bird strike one night took out a landing light. I mean the light departed the aircraft. Just twisted metal left that once held the light to the aircraft. I wrote it up. MX fixed it. I flew the next leg. Never heard from anybody about that.

We hit a flock of seagulls on take off. There was guts, feathers, and crap all over the windshield. It took longer to clean the windshield than to fill out the log and have MX clear the log. Tower knew all about it. Never heard about it.

If you are worried about bird strikes, you better buy TUMS by the case. It will be the least of your problems.

Latest resources

Back