• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Biplanes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'd say you need to get on the EAA web site and chat to some people who have experience with this type of biplane. I've got a good 1000 hrs or so in UPF7s and have never had the goggles pushed down like you have experienced. Then again, I didn't get above 100mph. I wore a leather helmet with David Clarks. Sometimes I didn't even wear goggles, just a pair of sunglasses that would be retained by the helmet.

You might want to ask what did the previous owner did.

Good luck,

JK

PS. actually you make me yearn for open cockpit flying again. It's been almost 10 years since I had the wind in my hair.

Headwind said:
Any biplane pilots on the board? Bought one last week (AcroSport II) and it's my first experience with biplanes. The wind is rough. I also ride a motorcycle, but this is different. It's nice in the front seat, but you must fly from the rear seat. The windshield is taller than my head, but the wind off the top wing strikes my face from above. At speeds over 100 the wind pushes my goggles down over my nose and the glasses I wear under the goggles are mashed against my face.
I thought about a helmet with a shield. Thought about ultra light helmets, David Clark, even military style. I need advice from someone who has who has had this experience.
Thanks,
HEADWIND

I'm a biplane dude. Pitts Junkie, etc...
Currently, I am flying a skybolt, but don't really like it that much. But, it is the only thing I have available at the moment.

Headwind said:
Any biplane pilots on the board? Bought one last week (AcroSport II) and it's my first experience with biplanes. The wind is rough. I also ride a motorcycle, but this is different. It's nice in the front seat, but you must fly from the rear seat. The windshield is taller than my head, but the wind off the top wing strikes my face from above. At speeds over 100 the wind pushes my goggles down over my nose and the glasses I wear under the goggles are mashed against my face.
I thought about a helmet with a shield. Thought about ultra light helmets, David Clark, even military style. I need advice from someone who has who has had this experience.
Thanks,
HEADWIND

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/flyinghelmets.php

Thanks Nooky,
I had looked at this web site, and have one of these. The problem is with the goggles. I must wear glasses to fly and the type goggles that fit over the glasses are big and don't stay put in 115 mph winds. If I didn't need the glasses I could wear a better quality of goggles.
The gentleman I bought the aircraft from used a hard helmet with a shield and it worked good. At first I dod not want this. I wanted the wind in your face feel of the biplane, but didn't realize just how much wind strikes you from the rear seat.
It looks like many have a canopy. Just wondered how many use a hard helmet with shield.

HEADWIND

One day when I have a lot of money...obviously not from flying...but from A) winning the lottery B) Inheritance....I am getting a PITTS....One Day.... :)

I don't know about the Pitts 12, got a
little stick time in the S-2, a Stearman,
Skybolt, Student Prince, a ride in a UPF-7
(sadly the front stick was out cause they
had been selling rides)...

The one that I keep coming back to though,
and the one I would want for myself has to
be the Buker. Yeah, the one that all those
German WWII guys cut their teeth on. There
is no other airplane that ever felt more "right"
to me.

Good Luck...