• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Big changes are in the air at Southwest part2

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
HA !!! Unlike others, SWA's management didn't talk furloughs, or look for pay/benefit cuts as other have.

Seems that is the first place all the others go. SWA will work this out internally, and unlike Ferris, lorenzo, Wolf, Goodwin, Tilton, Mullin, Allen, Carty, Shugrue, Siegel, Steenland, Arpey, Creighton and others, you will see that the management here will not be out to screw the employees while they run away with millions in bonus money paid for by their employees.

The mood around here is not one of gloom and doom ( as much as some would like it to be). Yesterday's party was as crowded as ever with employees and their guests enjoying themselves, and there wasn't any crying in the beer, as we all had lots of fun.

Remember, SWA has in their past, slowed and even stopped growth. From January 2002-January 2004, SWA only hired 300+ pilots. We still showed profits...employees were still hired ( albeit, slower) and the morale was still high.

The weekly deck parties continued, as did the Annual Awards Banquet, as did the Hangar parties that we have a couple of times a year.

As much as some would like to see it here, I really don't think that you will see the same type of "destruction" at SWA that we've seen in the rest of the industry.
The kool aid must taste good. Being senior must help. Tell your ra ra tale to the guys that will get screwed in the next couple of years. You can't suck up $600,000,000.00 a year without giving a black eye to someone in the company. How proud will you be when you have to sacrifice a group to the fuel Gods? I really wish nothing but the best. I have more than a few friends there. Time will tell. You have to admit that someone is about to take a severe pounding. We'll see when things go down, who is willing to take the hit. Hugs and kisses while you can stomach it.

I've seen more than a few come here over the years feeling dis-enfranchised, skeptical, and non-trusting. Totally understandable! I'd probably been worse off in their position. However, it usually takes about 5-10 years for the distrust to melt away, as they experience the reality of Southwest Airlines...there are a lot of good, committed people that work here, top to bottom. As that reality starts to take hold, that's when the distrust melts away, and is replaced by a team mentality...just my observation.

BTW...would much rather have a "roll your sleaves up" hard workin' problem solver here, than a kool aid drinker...

Last edited:
The kool aid must taste good. Being senior must help. Tell your ra ra tale to the guys that will get screwed in the next couple of years. You can't suck up $600,000,000.00 a year without giving a black eye to someone in the company. How proud will you be when you have to sacrifice a group to the fuel Gods? I really wish nothing but the best. I have more than a few friends there. Time will tell. You have to admit that someone is about to take a severe pounding. We'll see when things go down, who is willing to take the hit. Hugs and kisses while you can stomach it.

The answer won't come on FI.com...only time will tell. Oh, and thanks for wishing me nothing but the best...

BTW...would much rather have a "roll your sleaves up" hard workin' problem solver here, than a kool aid drinker...

And thats another thing that makes me glad that we ARE different than the rest. We do have an abundance of guys here who would rather "roll their sleeves up" and look for solutions than whine and complain like the pilots do at....well, you know...

Be careful now. You'll have the LUV crew poking at you saying how they're the ones keeping up the "best pay and working conditions" in the industry!:rolleyes:

no dude you are. really help us please your pay cuts have done nothing but help this industry.

OK, here's the part I don't get.

The SWA bashers are excited our fuel costs are going up. But they never talk about the fact that, SO ARE THEIRS.

SWA hedges may not be at $28/bbl any more, but the hedges are actually increasing, and SWA is still in a far better position RE fuel costs than any other carrier.

So if OUR fuel costs go up, and YOUR fuel costs go up, and you guys only made a profit (most of which was gratefully given to management as a bonus) based on concessionary pay, bennies and work rules, doesn't that mean that you're either A) NOT getting your pay and bennies back to pre concessionary levels or B) Not going to continue profitability?

Oh yeah, I forgot, you have assigned seating. That'll take care of it.

Latest resources

Back