Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AlbieF15

F15 Ret/FDX/InterviewPrep
Anyone out here have regular experience with SE GA type planes routinely going into large airports? What lessons/tips do you have?

I sometimes commute to MEM in my Navion, and getting in/out is a breeze. Wilson Air Center is great to little guys, and ATC is very helpful.

Last year I went to MIA on business, and decided to land at MIA vice the relievers. It cost me 40 bucks, but it was worth doing ONCE. Yesterday I went into ATL (yes...really) after calling tower the day before and asking about my proposed times and making sure it wasn't too daunting. Mercury FBO is gone--its now ATLantic--and they charged me a $6 airport fee and required 15 gallons at $6 /gallon to waive a 40 dollar ramp fee--a fair trade since I could walk to my seminar at the Renaissance Hotel and skip rental cars, parking, etc. Again--good weather--it was fine. However--if some of you guys --maybe 135 types for SAT, check flyers, or air charter guys regularly do this kind of stuff, I'd love to hear some of you tips to work within the system and stay out of everyone's way.

My tech for the flying part was simple...2 dots or more high--140 mph until 2 mile file--then dump gear/flaps and land 3000+ feet down. What concerns me MORE is just the general sequencing considerations and being a "good neighbor" when I do have reason to go to a large metro area.

Last edited:
I usually try to use the less busy reliever fields in those areas, and take a cab or rent a car, as necessary...unless I have secific business at the main airport.

I agree...but at MEM I cross the street to go to work, at MIA the Pan Am sim facility is on the property, and ATL's airport hotel is a great spot to meet. I am with you on that one--but I did notice that there were other GA types there on business. I just wonder if any board regulars make it a habit to go to these places...

If I have a reason to go to a big airport, I do. Its public.

IMO every large airport should have GA runway(s), if they want to keep us away from 121 guys, they can.

MCO is absolutely HUGE.

and no landing fees!

CE

You seem to have a pretty good grip on things, just keep doing what you are doing. :beer:

I used to take students into DTW and MDW on a fairly regular basis. I never really had a problem and you shouldn't either as long as you can talk on the radios and follow direction. If you hit an off time it's no different than going into any other towered airport, but when it's busy keep in mind who's behind you. Be prepared to side-step to a parallel runway and keep your speed up as required, but don't go so fast that you spend extra time on the runway, which brings us to the hardest part about big airports...taxiing.

Make sure you brief your taxi route well before you arrive at the airport. It's a big help to be familiar with the taxiway diagram before you start taxiing, this goes for all airplanes, big and small. Large airports can have confusing taxiways which are more difficult to navigate in a small airplane due to being so close to the ground, make sure you write down your route and if you ever get confused STOP AND ASK! A controller might get slightly irritated with you if he's busy and you ask him to clarify directions, but you can be assured he'll be furious if you deviate from his directions and screw up his plans, it's much better to get it right.

As long as you act like a professional you should be fine. Some of us even like seeing a small airplane every now and again (says the RJ driver, whose airplane others consider "small"), so don't be afraid to venture out to the big airports.

As long as you act like a professional you should be fine.

Ditto

Make sure you don't increase the controllers workload by something you do, and do communicate like a professional. A lot of controllers are also fellow small airplane pilots, and I've observed that they usually treat the little guys well as long as the little airplane pilot doesn't act and sound like a student pilot on his first cross country or an arrogant (insert favorite whipping boy GA type).

Good Luck with the Rep election.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back