Bidding 787 at UAL/CAL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Heavy Set

So, a friend tells me that the 787 was included in the latest bid at UAL. Obviously the CAL guys get the first crack at the 787 between the two groups (probably due to original order/delivery date and fences). Some questions for those in the know:

1. What's the junior most award (newhire date) for 787 for Capt and FO? Is it going senior? Any defections from the 777 fleet or are those pilots staying put?

2. Is the pay on the 787 comparable to the 777 or to the 767-200/400?

3. I recall that Houston-Auckland was an initial route announced for the 787 - any additional new 787 routes announced?

4. When will the first 787 start on the line (this summer?) and how many 787s are expected to arrive in 2012 (barring further Boeing delays)?

5. I recall that UAL ordered a bunch of 787s as well. When will the first Legacy UAL 787s arrive and when will the Legacy UAL pilots will be able to bid it? How many total 787s are expected for the combined airline?

6. Lastly, where will the 787 pilot bases be located initially? Both IAH and EWR?

Look forward to seeing the UAL 787s at the major airports in the future - looks like an awesome airplane to fly. :cool: Should also be cool to see those Airbus A350s in UAL colors down the road if they ever get that program going in Europe...

1. What's the junior most award (newhire date) for 787 for Capt and FO? Is it going senior? Any defections from the 777 fleet or are those pilots staying put?

F/O - 02/2006
CA - 06/1984

2. Is the pay on the 787 comparable to the 777 or to the 767-200/400?

Yes, they are all widebody pay.

3. I recall that Houston-Auckland was an initial route announced for the 787 - any additional new 787 routes announced?

No other 787 specific routes have been announced yet.

4. When will the first 787 start on the line (this summer?) and how many 787s are expected to arrive in 2012 (barring further Boeing delays)?

As mentioned, 6. I believe the first one is supposed to arrive in August.

5. I recall that UAL ordered a bunch of 787s as well. When will the first Legacy UAL 787s arrive and when will the Legacy UAL pilots will be able to bid it? How many total 787s are expected for the combined airline?

I think 50 firm orders with 50 options for the combined airline. No one knows what the fences will be like. Hopefully minimal....

6. Lastly, where will the 787 pilot bases be located initially? Both IAH and EWR?

Only IAH so far. The next 787 base was supposed to be EWR, but it has not been opened yet.

Last edited:
Junior FO on the 787 is 02/2006? Wow - I know some guys from Expressjet who passed on CAL back in 2005 and they ain't happy where they currently are. Now I am sure they would be pi$$ed.......

Latest resources

Back