Biannual without a medical?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
brianjohn said:
My whole original point is that I've heard of a private getting a "biennial" but not a "biannual."
And without that flight review within the past 24 calendar months, one cannot act as PIC.
Correct???
Correct.

brianjohn said:
My whole original point is that I've heard of a private getting a "biennial" but not a "biannual."
And without that flight review within the past 24 calendar months, one cannot act as PIC.
Correct???

Not correct - you have heard of someone getting a biannual - go back and read the first post in the thread.........

Hey CFIse- I think you need to read the first post. It doesn't say a "biannual" was given. It asked IF one COULD be given.
Again, "I" have NEVER heard of a private pilot getting a "biannual" flight review.

the answer to the first question is yes. Many people say biannual when the mean biennial I dont know why. But if the CFI does not have a current 2nd class medical then he/she is still able to issue the BFR as complete as long as the pilot flying acts and logs PIC time the CFI will not be able to long PIC time for the flight.

flyingnome said:
the answer to the first question is yes. Many people say biannual when the mean biennial I dont know why. But if the CFI does not have a current 2nd class medical then he/she is still able to issue the BFR as complete as long as the pilot flying acts and logs PIC time the CFI will not be able to long PIC time for the flight.

The answer is no. The first question asks if the CFI can do the flight review when NEITHER pilot has a medical.

flyingnome said:
the CFI will not be able to long PIC time for the flight.

Yep, he will. The rule of logging does not require that you BE the PIC to log PIC. Being the instructor does not necessarily require that you be the PIC, yet the instructor can stll log it as PIC. FAR 61.51(e)(3)

Resocha said:
The answer is no. The first question asks if the CFI can do the flight review when NEITHER pilot has a medical.

Where in the first post does it specify NEITHER pilot having a medical? I don't see it. It asks if one could be done without the CFI having one, and then without the private having one.

flyingnome said:
the answer to the first question is yes. Many people say biannual when the mean biennial I don't know why. But if the CFI does not have a current 2nd class medical then he/she is still able to issue the BFR as complete as long as the pilot flying acts and logs PIC time the CFI will not be able to long PIC time for the flight.
Two small corrections:

1. A CFI acting as PIC while giving instruction only needs a 3rd class medical.

2. If the pilot acts as PIC, the CFI can still log PIC (even if the CFI has no medical at all). CFI logging PIC is based on acting as an instructor, whether or not acting or even being qualified to act as PIC.

Both are clear in the regs and in long-standing FAA policy

brianjohn said:
Where in the first post does it specify NEITHER pilot having a medical? I don't see it. It asks if one could be done without the CFI having one, and then without the private having one.

Oh, I see, the question is in two parts. I mistook it for one.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back