Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CUEBOAT

HomeBaseBKLYN
I just did a BFR in a seneca. Before this I was not current in anything at all. Does this make it legal for me to carry passengers in a single even though I haven't done my 3 t/o & landings?. FAR offer little help.

Nope. Recency experience is dependent on category, class, and type.

CUEBOAT said:
FAR offer little help.

(2) Unless the flight review is undertaken in a flight simulator that is approved for landings, the applicant must meet the takeoff and landing requirements of §61.57(a) or §61.57(b) of this part.

§ 61.57 Recent flight experience: Pilot in command.
(a) General experience. (1) Except as provided in paragraph (e) of this section, no person may act as a pilot in command of an aircraft carrying passengers or of an aircraft certificated for more than one pilot flight crewmember unless that person has made at least three takeoffs and three landings within the preceding 90 days, and—

(i) The person acted as the sole manipulator of the flight controls; and

(ii) The required takeoffs and landings were performed in an aircraft of the same category, class, and type (if a type rating is required), and, if the aircraft to be flown is an airplane with a tailwheel, the takeoffs and landings must have been made to a full stop in an airplane with a tailwheel.

Last edited:
Does this make it legal for me to carry passengers in a single even though I haven't done my 3 t/o & landings?.

No. For two reasons.

First, the takeoff land landing requirement for acting as PIC while carrying passengers is separate from the FR requirement for acting as PIC in any capacity, even solo.

Second, as Jeff pointed out, passenger-carrying landing currency is category/class/type (if type rating needed) specific.

Last edited:
thanks guys, i see the it clearly now. I figured it that way but got kind of lazy looking in the FARs

Latest resources

Back