Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

DGdaPilot

Parrot Head Pilot
So I've been approached about doing a BFR for a pilot in their taildragger. Thing is, is that I don't have my tailwheel endorsement. So can I do this BFR and just log the flight under Total and Dual Given? Should I log PIC even though I'm not acting as PIC? Is this flight even legal since I can't act as PIC?

Last edited:
Flight is legal as long as the other pilot can act as PIC
You can fly the airplane, but not act as PIC.
You can log PIC.

The above answer to your question is correct.

Make absolutely sure that you inform the pilot that you do not have your tailwheel signoff and get it in writing that the pilot understands this. You don't want the pilot looking to you (the instructor) to pull his a$$ out of the fire in case things get hairy, which can happen fairly easily on (or near) the ground in a tailwheel aircraft. You want to provide the best possible proactive defense in case there is a "situation".

Maybe I'm being too anal, but this is gonna screw up my logbook. I've got it so you get my total time when you add up my PIC and Dual Received. Now my Total time will be higher than the addition of PIC and Dual Received..hmmm.....

Personally, I'd recommend either:

A. getting your tailwheel endorsement and a little PIC time before giving the Flight Review. That way you know what you're looking at on takeoff and landing, and are in a better position to evaluate it; or

B. Finding a tailwheel-qualified instructor who can give the flight review to him.

Just my opinion.

Fly safe!

David

Maule Skinner is correct.

Get your tailwheel signoff.

Not only is it a really fun thing to do, but you will never forget about using rudders after flying taildraggers and, most importantly, your log book will balance.

Here is a book recommendation:

"The CompleatTail Dragger Pilot" by Harvey S Plourde

That really is how complete is spelled........

PaulThomas said:
That's correct
No it's not. The authority of a CFI to log PIC when giving instruction is based upon, well, being a CFI giving instruction. Touching the controls or acting as PIC has nothing to do with it. (Read the regulation - this is one of the clear ones)

And, yes, you may give instruction in a tailwheel without the endorsement.

But that's just about writing numbers in a logbook and the legality of giving instruction in an airplane you're not qualified to fly. The better issue was raised by those who questioned whether you should be giving instruction in an airplane you're not qualified to fly.

Picture a mishap on a xwind landing. The FAA sends you a letter of investigation and a prelude to certificate action or a CFI retest. Your best explanation is, "Well, no, I wasn in no position to take over the airplane I was teaching in, but it was legal, wasn't it?"

midlifeflyer said:
Picture a mishap on a xwind landing. The FAA sends you a letter of investigation and a prelude to certificate action or a CFI retest. Your best explanation is, "Well, no, I wasn in no position to take over the airplane I was teaching in, but it was legal, wasn't it?"
Actually, the scenario that I've playing in my head is me signing him off, and then he has a landing mishap shortly thereafter. FAA will see my recent signature and have a few questions for me.

This is just one of those issues where I was pretty sure I would be legal, but I no longer think it's a smart choice.

Thanks for all the replies.

Latest resources

Back