• NC Software is having a Black Friday Sale Event thru December 4th on Logbook Pro, APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook, Cirrus Elite Binders, and more. Use coupon code BF2020 at checkout to redeem 15% off your purchase. Click here to shop now.
  • NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

BFR for a CFI

HoserASA

Total Time
25K+
Haven't flown in almost 2 years but have kept my CFI current using online renewal courses. Going to get checked out at the local airport. Am I required to have a BFR? IOW if a CFI's certificate remains current by taking a refresher online course every 2 years is a BFR required? So far getting mixed answers. I think I can skip the 1 hour ground portion but not the flight portion. Thanks.

Last edited:

pilotyip

Total Time
You need a BFR unless you are taking a FAA check for a new certificate or taking any check under a regulated CFR 14, Chap 1 Parts, 61, 91K, 121, 125, 129, 135

340drvr

Total Time
I suppose strictly, you'd only need the flight review for instructing when you need to be pilot in command, i.e. beginning students, or others not yet qualified to be PIC. Commercial training, even instrument training done under VFR, could be done without the CFI as PIC, but pretty limited. And, yes, your flight instructor refresher counts for the ground portion of a flight review.

BeeFCaKe

Total Time
x,xxx
Next time you go to training see if the sim instructor / examiner will sign you off for a FAA WINGS program. That will count towards your BFR.

weekendwarrior

Total Time
Some
Just one hour flight with a CFI. You are not required to do the one hour of ground.

Also, since you've been out of it a while, it's no longer a BFR or Biennial Flight Review. They took out the "Biennial." It's only known to the FAA as a "Flight Review."