BFR for a CFI

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

HoserASA

Haven't flown in almost 2 years but have kept my CFI current using online renewal courses. Going to get checked out at the local airport. Am I required to have a BFR? IOW if a CFI's certificate remains current by taking a refresher online course every 2 years is a BFR required? So far getting mixed answers. I think I can skip the 1 hour ground portion but not the flight portion. Thanks.

Last edited:
You need a BFR unless you are taking a FAA check for a new certificate or taking any check under a regulated CFR 14, Chap 1 Parts, 61, 91K, 121, 125, 129, 135

I suppose strictly, you'd only need the flight review for instructing when you need to be pilot in command, i.e. beginning students, or others not yet qualified to be PIC. Commercial training, even instrument training done under VFR, could be done without the CFI as PIC, but pretty limited. And, yes, your flight instructor refresher counts for the ground portion of a flight review.

Next time you go to training see if the sim instructor / examiner will sign you off for a FAA WINGS program. That will count towards your BFR.

Just one hour flight with a CFI. You are not required to do the one hour of ground.

Also, since you've been out of it a while, it's no longer a BFR or Biennial Flight Review. They took out the "Biennial." It's only known to the FAA as a "Flight Review."

Latest resources

Back