Forums Chief Pilot
Staff member
Type aircraft owned
Carbon Cub FX-3
Base airport
KFCI
Ratings
COMM, IFR, MEL, SEL
I learned of the Aithre shield CO detector that integrates in the G3X from the CubCrafters community and had one installed in my 2021 CubCrafters FX-3. Nothing alarming and it seemed to work well. Then came along my 2023 CubCrafters FX-3 and right off the bat I'm seeing very high CO readings and can't figure it out. Is it a bad Aithre? Was the prior one bad? Is it in a different location? What is the deal. I'm getting red alerts and thought it was just something to ignore. WRONG.

During my landing light upgrade saga I had the GDU out and saw the Aithre was located in the exact same location. As I had silicone caulk out for the landing light covers I figured I'll seal the gear leg area as I know from @turbopilot he raised a concern that this was a path for CO getting into the cockpit. Today I flew for the first time since sealing these areas and it seems the holes are larger than the last plane and sure enough PROBLEM SOLVED! I was not in the red at all today and this made the difference. Now keep in mind I have a cargo pod and that's going to make matters a little worse acting as a baffle for the exhaust which will presumably force it into these gaps.

I recommend everyone seal these openings belly pod or not. CO is poison and the factory should be sealing these gaps as well for the protection of the pilots. Don't mess with CO in your home or plane!

gear-leg-silicone.JPG
gear-leg-silicone-rt.JPG

Thanks for sharing. I received a message from CC that they have been “dialing in” my CO2 detector. I am fearful that I may also have a leak that needs to be addressed. I plan to bring my secondary CO2 monitor when I pick up my plane just in case…

I have the Aithre detector also and have not had any readings even close to high. I'll check my landing gear tonight. Kyflyer did they put a cargo pod on your plane?

Attached are a couple pictures of my smoke system in operation. It seems like even without the cargo pod there is an exhaust eddy that definitely could leak up into the landing gear access. Note that in my 1954 SuperCub, even though the exhaust was shorter it was off to the side and it did not seem to curl back as the FX3 does. The seal around my gear seems tighter, but I will definitely silicone it.

Screenshot 2023-08-13 at 2.57.56 PM.jpg

I love my smoke system. Make sure they put the check valve as close to the firewall as possible. I'm still working through some smoke "Dribble"

Latest resources

Back