Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

DR400

Kes Ki Di
I am planning a XC from the Dallas area to the Las Vegas area (and back) over 12 days in a Cessna172.
Any suggestions of must-see, do's & don't and other tips for this fun trip.

Thanks.

DR400 said:
I am planning a XC from the Dallas area to the Las Vegas area (and back) over 12 days in a Cessna172.

Thanks.

Should be quite a scenic and enjoyable trip for you. While in college I would fly a pretty well known Houston attorney back and forth between HOU and LAS on the weekends in a A-36. Would always make the fuel stop in Roswell New Mexico. If you are into the whole "UFO" thing, this city is quite entertaining to put it mildly and the courtesy truck at the FBO is "priceless" that they will loan you, I can't even put into words what that experience was like. Try and stop at Roswell if you get the chance, south to north will give you some nice views of the canyon and will allow for some photo opportunities inflight. As far as Vegas goes, what are you into?. Some of my favorite golf courses are in Vegas, Laughlin is only a short drive away from Vegas which is right on the Colorado which will allow for some water activities and outdoor sports. Flagstaff, Sedona, and Palm Springs may also be something to consider since you will be out in that area. Be careful, safe, and most of all enjoy the trip into Vegas, as many times as I have been there I always "thirst" for more once I leave the city.

If ya go thru Roswell, remember there's some pretty large restricted areas around 80nm west of there to go around, usually hot.

There's a nice museum at Santa Teresa, (5T6) just west of El Paso, if you don't mind a bit southerly (lower) route:

http://www.war-eagles-air-museum.com/

Fuel $3.45/gal according to airnav

DR400 said:

Thanks.

Carlsbad Caverns NM
Big Bend NP
Benson, AZ - Karchner Caverns us the airport curtesy car
Davis Monthan AFB - Aircraft Storage Facility, Tucson and Pima Air Museum
Falcon Field, Mesa AZ, two air museums on the field
Sedona, AZ for breakfast
Grand Canyon, NP for Lunch
Boulder Dam in Boulder City, NV and Lake Mead
Monument Valley and Canyon de Chelley National Monument in Northeastern AZ
Page, AZ and Lake Powell

To name a few......