• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

skykid

On Point
by Kathie O'Donnell, Market Watch

"What's in it for you to wait in line with 600 other people to get on an airplane?," said Bethune, who retired as Continental's chairman and chief executive officer at the end of last year.
Bethune, speaking at the Investment Company Institute 2005 general membership meeting in Washington, is also a former Boeing Co. executive and a pilot.

"What's in it for you to wait for your bag with 600 people? What's in it for you to wait in customs and immigration lines with 600 people?," he asked.

What airline customers really want, Bethune said, are good deals.
"The No. 1 driver for customers [is price]", he said, because they can go online to comparison shop on Web sites like Expedia.com or Travelocity.com.

After price, the next priority is scheduling, he added, noting that flights leaving at midnight aren't that appealing.

Cheap flights abound in the U.S. right now. Fierce competition has pitted established, older airlines like Continental or American Airlines in a fight for passengers against smaller, upstarts like JetBlue Airways that are offering cross-country flights at low prices.

It's not just the low-cost carriers that are aggressive with their pricing. Bankrupt airlines like United Airlines and US Airways have slashed costs and are no less relentless with their fares.

Some analysts consider Chapter 11 protection to have given United an advantage as it carries out its restructuring in court.

Just this week, United succeeded in getting court permission to hand over billions in retirement-plan obligations to the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corp. in a move that will save the airline hundreds of millions of dollars a year.

"So if United has a price advantage because their costs are lower, everybody's got to get to the market cost," he said.

JetBlue, for example, has a fleet of young jets and no traditional pension plans. Instead it has 401ks and new Airbus and Embraeraircraft.

The airlines aren't alone in their recent pension crisis. They have been preceded by the steel industry and now analysts wonder what will come of the auto sector's plans, prompting larger concerns about the soundness of America's retirement systems.

"No-one can make a promise to you that 30 years from now they are going to pay you a guaranteed amount because they don't know how to keep that promise. And I think the reality of the situation is coming home to America," Bethune said.

Of course this is what the naysayers use as their reason for not buying one. In reality, it's like two seperate flights leaving at the same time or arriving at the same time. As if CAL never had a couple of 777s arrive within a few minutes of each other at gates close to one another.
In reality, the A380 will have a couple of gates to spread the folks out and you will never even see half the people on your flight. Luggage will go to a couple of different areas and these huge airports with INTL arrivals showing up within minutes of each other will not even feel the difference between this and a 777 flight.
Two decks of 300 from two different gates will load just as fast as one deck of 300 from one gate.
Will this thing be able to compete? It will burn a heck of a lot less gas than two 777s, I bet.

Probably the reference to 600 passengers waiting to get on a plane. Unless there are 12 RJs boarding at the same time out of the same gate.

Someone show me where the A380 is mentioned in this article.

Hose, you're right, he must be talking about a C150 and doesn't realize that aircraft is weight limited with 600 people.

a380 is ultimately going to be decided by the airports...looks like right now it will only be able to fly into 3 us destinations...787..hmmm..will be able to go anywhere

not to be a cynic,,,,,,yeah,, I'll be one. Just what I need, 400 mothers with babies in their laps needing a change, 700 pax with cell phones ringing (and all different tones) and even more ugly, mean F/A's with attitudes. Naww, I'll take a good old 150 plowing around Washington any old day.

Ole Gordon never met a microphone he didn't like.

I don't think JetBlue has a better chance of being profitable than 100 other predecessors with new airplanes, new employees, low fares, all touchy-feely ... all of them are losers. Most of these guys are smoking ragweed.

— Gordon Bethune, CEO Continental Airlines, 'Time' magazine, June 2002.

Latest resources

Back