• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Anyone can fly a jet, it takes a real pilot to fly a prop airplane

pilotyip said:
Anyone can fly a jet, it takes a real pilot to fly a prop airplane

Now, I'm wondering why Gulfstream and their 1900's haven't killed anyone, yet UAL/AAA/AA/DAL/NWA/CAL/etc have had fatal accidents? Pardon the poor grammar.

just yankin your chain. If I get the DTW airbii bid, I'll look ya up.

enigma

enigma said:
BTW, have you ever asked about jet pumps or the theory behind an ACM?

I didn't, but I was involved in an interview once where another fella on the board asked the interviewee:

"What electrical bus powers the jet pumps?" on the Metroliner (the interviewee's logbook claimed many hundreds of hours and possibly a type, but I don't remember for sure, in the Metro).

Answer?

"Uhhhh, I don't remember for sure, but I think it was the main bus."

Let's just say he didn't get the job. :cool:

The Dash-8s taxiing with one engine feathered may be doing something similar to the Saab 340. When the Saab is on the ground in warm weather, it's normal to use high-pressure bleed air from just one of the engines to run both packs, instead of the usual low-pressure bleed air from both engines. The ITT is very sensitive and unstable when you're doing this, so the engine is normally feathered so it can't be used for taxi thrust.

Do the Saab's have the same engine as a Dash? We only feather the props for the 30 sec cool down. That's it. On the other hand, I have seen other operators taxiing out with one feathered. I assumed it was to reduce fuel flow, but I really don't know.

Buschpilot said:
Do the Saab's have the same engine as a Dash? We only feather the props for the 30 sec cool down. That's it. On the other hand, I have seen other operators taxiing out with one feathered. I assumed it was to reduce fuel flow, but I really don't know.

Nope. Without researching it, I believe the Dash has Pratts. The Saab has GE's. Basically a helicopter engine on its' side, at least in the A-model.

Last edited:
Isn't this the accident that led Saab to install the flight idle stop?

Yes, I believe it is.

I can't believe I remember anything about my first love :eek:

Heh heh heh... Occasionally, I still call out my first love's name during, uhhh, approach...

"Flaps 17!!"

;)

Latest resources

Back