• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Beta and Reverse.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
As far as I know, the MV-22 isn't used as a dustoff bird. There are plenty of UH-60's lying around that fill the roll in the area I was in.

But, if a bird wants to lend a hand, then by all means the ground commander can send his warrior on a CH-53 (if its the case.)

You're correct in that beta is everything that isn't the forward, or alpha range. However, in general context, the beta range is typically taken to be a zero thrust range between forward and reverse. Common use differentiates between "just over the gate" when the propeller or power lever controls are just over the gate. Beta is generally taken to be that time when the power lever is moved far enough aft that the fuel control is scheduled to produce increasing power while the propeller is scheduled into a negative angle.

When retarding the power levers to idle in the flight range, you don't control propeller blade angle. The propeller governor does that. In the reverse range, you schedule both power and blade angle with the power levers.

I always thought the strict definition of "beta" was that the the power levers controlled the blade angle directly, and "alpha" meant that the prop governor controlled blade angle, when prop RPM was high enough to be governable in the forward range. Thoughts?

I am agreeing with the previous posters; I'm more interested in the strict definition of "alpha" and "beta"

from a PT-6 jockey

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back