Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Best way to get to a Corporate flying job(JET)??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

MVSW

Iam trying to give one of my friends some good advice but really can't. I need some of you OLD heads to help me out. What would be the best way to land a corporate job?

1. Fly 121 regionals and be a f/o for a couple years and wait till he upgrades and then take off to a corp job?

2. Fly for a corp right now in a king air?

I know that I said "land a corp job"...and number 2 is a corp job, but he wants to be in a 900,G550, etc. So would they rather see the 121 jet time or previous king air corp time?

Last edited:
Personally, if a King Air job pops up, take it. Shoot, if a C-310 job pops up take it. Why? 9 times out of 10, it won't be what you know but who you know, and the best place to network is while you are cooling your heels at Podunk airport. Get to know other crews. Get to know other FBO managers, their line personel.

www.bdkingpress.com

MVSW said:
I know that I said "land a corp job"...and number 2 is a corp job, but he wants to be in a 900,G550, etc. So would they rather see the 121 jet time or previous king air corp time?

Can't help you on what kind of time they'd like to see, except that when I've asked a similar question to corporate guys out there, they've said that they'd like to see some multi-PIC and that I should have gotten "around the block" a few times, meaning some significant time flying in the IFR system, preferably as PIC. It didn't seem to matter whether it was turbine PIC, although I don't suppose it would hurt.

Networking is key, or so I've been told.

For what it's worth, I'd probably take the King Air job. Sure, I'd like to "land" a 900/Gulfstream job too, but you've gotta start somewhere. The fact that he'd be willing to take a King Air job would just show that he's serious about corporate flying, and that makes a difference from what I can tell.

-Goose

MVSW said:
but he wants to be in a 900,G550, etc. So would they rather see the 121 jet time or previous king air corp time?

if they like you he could have been flying a barn door :)..what is most important is to get a good foundation in flying something (anything) and then just work your way up the food chain--it takes years and years. there are exceptions. the king air doesn't sound bad. what is very important-- if he wants to keep advancing that he have a willingness and desire to move to get the next job. it's just that simple.

What about the flow throught job. The one where the operator will get you an interview with a fractional corp job after you get two years exprience with thier operation.

Do these programs work?

Go for it

Take the King Air job and hang on to it until something better comes along. There is somewhat of a prejudice against anyone that has Part 121 DNA in their background, so try to keep the bloodline pure for the moment. I don't subscribe to that concept, but then I am not doing the hiring. I have a good friend that was flying a Baron at the begining of this year and now he is in a GV. He did have some very strong background points, and yes there was some 121 DNA in there, but you can't tell where things will lead. Network, make no enemies, be nice to everyone. It has been stated numerous times on this board by folks smarter and more experienced than myself. I believe they are all right!

Take the KA gig.
I interviewed with a company that wanted someone with corporate experience. I currently fly for an airline but had some corporate KA time prior to that. The interviewer made the point of how corporate flying is a different animal than airlines. Specifically, he mentioned how an airline pilot can just shut the door and not deal with passengers, if he chooses.
Compared with throwing bags, getting catering, and addressing the passengers needs in the corporate environment.
Long of the short is that the pilot with corporate experience had a leg up on the strictly 121 pilot with regards to getting hired.

Good Luck
WP

Latest resources

Back