Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If your not a mac guy then disregard.
...or switch!

To each his own, but anyone running Windows anymore these days is just a lemming. There are way better OSs other there. Oh...and don't get me started on MSIE!!!! Why Microsoft ignores web coding standards is beyond me.

The dual-boot Hackintosh is a good idea for anyone wanting to save some $$$ and still have Windows, OSX, or Linux.

Though I digress...my vote would be for the iPad. It's all about opportunity costs. What may seem expensive makes up for lack of headaches and waisted time...lots of waisted time.

Last edited:
...or switch!

To each his own, but anyone running Windows anymore these days is just a lemming. There are way better OSs other there. Oh...and don't get me started on MSIE!!!! Why Microsoft ignores web coding standards is beyond me.

The dual-boot Hackintosh is a good idea for anyone wanting to save some $$$ and still have Windows, OSX, or Linux.

Though I digress...my vote would be for the iPad. It's all about opportunity costs. What may seem expensive makes up for lack of headaches and waisted time...lots of waisted time.

Or just get an AAO/ASUS with the LINUX OS installed. Or the windows models and download one of the multiple LINUX platforms and set it up for dual boot. Or just get rid it of that Windows crap altogether. Whatever floats your boat.

The sub $500 "netbooks" can do all this nicely. As well as offer a host of other features that the ipad doesn't for the same portability. At least no yet anyway.

One thing about the LINUX, I can run various browsers, which comes in handy for my company as far as things like bidding are concerned. The iphone/ipad OS simply won't work.

D. oes not
e. ven
l. ast
l. long

I switched to apple a year ago. Best move I ever made... Ipad is a lil high but a 12-17 hr battery life???? That's alot of movies..

I put alot of research into this a couple of months ago. Finally endend up with an Asus 1201n.

This particular model actually has a 12 inch screen, but comes very close to the form factor of a 10 inch netbook because it doesn't have the huge bezel that is on most 10 inchers.

I had a 10 netbook and for me the screen and keyboard was just too small for the use I put on it. I think that 12 inch is really the sweet spot for portability and viewing.

The Asus 1201n also has the ion graphics chip that makes playing 1080p video a breeze while other netbooks stutter. It has an hdmi connection which is really nice for the overnights that have flat panel tvs, one connections and your streaming netflix on the big screen.

For $480 Ive been very happy, and would not trade for the ipad my brother is constantly trying to hold correctly and type on without falling over--pretty funny to watch.

iPad 3g.

1/2 a net book, but 10 times as useful. Instant boot up. I don't even put it airplane mode and still stays at 98% at the end of 6 legs.

I have an MSI Wind Notebook - 100GB HD and a crapload of RAM. Got it over a year ago before we went to China - its been thru hell and back, multiple jumpseat trips, China, you name it. 3 USB ports, a camera card port, external monitor port.

No hardware issues whatsoever, about 90-120mins on battery. When at home I have a standard size monitor hooked up to it. I wish I could hook up a standard size keyboard, but other than that - its been a real trooper.

I have an MSI Wind Notebook - 100GB HD and a crapload of RAM. Got it over a year ago before we went to China - its been thru hell and back, multiple jumpseat trips, China, you name it. 3 USB ports, a camera card port, external monitor port.

No hardware issues whatsoever, about 90-120mins on battery. When at home I have a standard size monitor hooked up to it. I wish I could hook up a standard size keyboard, but other than that - its been a real trooper.

You can hook up a usb keyboard to your netbook.....sould work just fine.

iPad 3g.

1/2 a net book, but 10 times as useful. Instant boot up. I don't even put it airplane mode and still stays at 98% at the end of 6 legs.

Again, depends on your needs. If I was doing day trips, or even 2 days with short overnights, the ipad would probably suffice, barely. Actually my iphone would probably be all I need. Except if I had to bid or something on the overnight.

But your statement that it's "10 times more useful" probably isn't really valid for guys gone for 4+ days at a time. Especially if you toss in things like having to carry additional equipment to get the SAME functionality as a netbook. Who wants to carry the external camera if they want to Skype with the family? Who wants to carry the keyboard if they're doing extensive typing?

Netbooks have SD/USB ports for easy data transfer if you need to share something. As opposed to putting the info on a conventional desktop/laptop, THEN synching it.

The idea that it was marketed as a "netbook replacement" simply isn't true. At least not in it's current configuration/capability.

When you say "instant bootup", is there an "airplane mode" like the phone? Or are you talking about a power up from turning the unit off? If the later, read my previous post. My AAO running LINUX boots faster than my iphone from a complete power down. How does the ipad stack up in power up time compared to an iphone? I'm not talking till it acquires the phone signal, just from the time you hit the power button, wait on the apple to go away, and get your home screen.

Last edited:
Or are you talking about a power up from turning the unit off?

Why are you turning the thing all the way off? Apple's like a restart every couple months but other than that they run for years without ever being off. Just put it to sleep and your fine.

Latest resources

Back