Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Best Masters Degree to get or does it even matter?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Don't have a dog in this fight either. But even as a "liberal" I'd gladly pay my taxes for the education of our men and women in uniform.

Agreed... in fact I think more univerity education should be free.... Univeristies have become havens for corporate influence... that is not part of democracy...

Back to the topic... the guy said the masters was free... it wasn't....

better than free

Agreed... in fact I think more univerity education should be free.... Univeristies have become havens for corporate influence... that is not part of democracy...

Back to the topic... the guy said the masters was free... it wasn't....
It was better than free, I made about $400/mo back in 82 for going ot school on the GI Bill. It was a good deal, since I was unemployed at the time. BTW This was availabe to anyone who wanted to join the service in the mid 60's and experience a fantastic adventure on the other side of the world.

A masters degree would invite scrutiny in an interview to see if your ego was inflated....

That is one of the dumbest things I have read in my life. Who the hell puts in two years of work to inflate their ego??? My Masters had nothing to do with my ego, and everything to do with diversifying my skill set so I wasn't trapped in aviation.

That is one of the dumbest things I have read in my life. Who the hell puts in two years of work to inflate their ego??? My Masters had nothing to do with my ego, and everything to do with diversifying my skill set so I wasn't trapped in aviation.

No ego? Why get miffed and reply?

This about being over qual'ed for an airline job. A BA/BS is all that is needed plus check airman or other type of instructor work...

How does a Masters make you more qual'ed to fly jets? Sure it might look good but it isn't a deal breaker or maker.....

Your last sentence says much... so you weren't trapped in aviation....

Good move...

No ego? Why get miffed and reply?

This about being over qual'ed for an airline job. A BA/BS is all that is needed plus check airman or other type of instructor work...

How does a Masters make you more qual'ed to fly jets? Sure it might look good but it isn't a deal breaker or maker.....

Your last sentence says much... so you weren't trapped in aviation....

Good move...

Your reply says all I need to know about you. You don't need a BA/BS, check airman, or instructor work to be a qualified airline guy or gal. Instructing is one (normally civilian only) way to acquire some experience, but not necessarily the best. Why do you think military guys get hired with so much less 'total' time than many civilian pilots??? It's quality not quantity. And for the record, I was a civilian instructor prior to the military gig so I can make that statement (no disrespect to civilian instructors - that's a HARD gig). A master's doesn't make you more qualified to fly jets - it makes the 'whole person' concept more complete. Most airlines don't hire a pilot because he has the ability to fly an airplane - that is assumed already. They assume you can fly and aren't a ****************************** (with the exception of you) otherwise you wouldn't have been invited to the interview. They are trying to intrepret your motivation, real world thinking, adaptability, personality, diversity of experience - all things which add intangible value to their company. SWA is a model of this - they don't find just the pilot, they find the person that complements the business model. The airline I currently work for does the same - in all but the most extreme cases of lack of flying ability, they will find a great person with average pilot skills and train him or her to be a great pilot. But with you deep understanding of the business world and aviation, I'm sure you already get that....

And as for trapped in aviation oh Einstein of the world, ever thought of a medical issue???? It has happened to many many people, including 3 friends of mine. Two of those three returned to the cockpit; one will never fly again. That was half of the motivation for me to get my MBA....so I wouldn't go hungry if the worst happened.

Latest resources

Back