Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

gringo

As good as it gets.
Since 98% of our flights end up over the pond or south of the Equator, I'm in the market for a new cell plan; unfortunately, Verizon doesn't work all too well overseas, so I'm looking to switch to AT&T/Cingular or going back to T-Mobile. Except for one friend of mine, I haven't heard too many good things about T-Mobile, but except for my sister, I really don't know anyone with Cingular/AT&T. If anyone's got any opinions on these guys, I'd love to hear them- especially how they worked overseas...

Thanks

Buy a prepaid SIM card for a GSM phone that works in a lot of countries. Swisscom used to sell them. Now, dunno. Get a quad band GSM phone.

I have been with T-Mobile for a few years and have great service at home and around the globe, and like what was mentioned before, just buy a pre-paid sim card if you're going to be overseas for extended periods!

If you want to roam, T-Mobile is your best bet. Other than that, get a GSM phone (T-mobile, Cingular) and buy local pre paid simcards. Do NOT buy a TDSM/CDSM phone, they are wortless.

I agree, I use Skype a lot when on the road.

As far as TMobile goes, I am not that impressed with domestic coverage (New England), but you can't beat the service internationally.

Hope this helps.
FF

Combo works well..

I use Skype to ring my wife and kids if they are not at the computer, then once they pickup we switch to MSN Messenger 7.0 and continue using video conferencing. Skype is a free service. You must download it on each computer your connecting too. I use DSL with MSN for web chat back and forth (29.99 a month for my service at home). I use both services throughout the world, and have had little to no difficulty with either. If you are trying to save money, and stay at hotels with high speed internet access. Then I would say this is one of the best ways to comunicate. If you truly want to be able to be reached, or reach others at any time by in large, then seriously consider the GSM phone with a local prepaid sim card. To use either msn web chat or skype service you must have seperate e-mail addresses, and a good way of managing that is to create a free msn hotmail account. Good luck in your quest..

www.skype.com

Go to www.patriotphone.com

If you have broadband where you travel, go to www.patriotphone.com and look at their services. You buy the "box," get a number (it doesn't matter what number as the website will explain), throw the light-weight "box" in your suitcase and go.

You call back home, anywhere in the USA, for only the $25.00 monthly fee. Leave the "box" plugged into the broadband (it will not interfere with the computer service) and your family, friends, etc. call you like a local call back home. Quality is top-notch (except for some so-called broadband service in some middle eastern desert countries).

Your companies should pay for the service because it saves them a fortune in international phone costs. If they don't, you can claim it as business expense with IRS.

You say, "that sounds like Vonage." And you are almost right. Patriotphone.com is a marketing arm of the big orange V company. Happy dialing and lots of
in-expensive talking.

Latest resources

Back