• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Best Flight Instruction Moment

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Being put into a spin by one of my first students and being able to get out of it! AHHH the joys of instructing!

Dropping by the flight school to say hi to some old friends just after being furloughed from the airline and having one of the "lead" instructors ask me if I was here to ask for my old job back too. (several others that also were furloughed came back there to work for a couple months) I really did need a good laugh that day.

I had a student that could fly the airplane just fine. In fact I had soloed him and his training was going along quite well until... we started the X-C phase. This guy could not correllate what was on the sectional with what he saw on the ground. Radio Nav was ok, but he just could not get pilotage. I worked with him for a long time, but I was stymied. Of course, there was no way I could let him go X-C solo.

I then started making some phone calls and ended up having a long talk with a Profeesor of Education at Long Beach State. What I learned was that there are some people that just have a hard time reading maps. Kind of like dyslexia, but can't read maps. She gave me several excercises to do with my student. One of them was we went into a classroom, and I had him draw a map of his home town. Then we made paper houses and roads, then I had him place those on the floor, copying what he drew on the paper. Then we did it in reverse, then we took a sectional and did an area, then we flew over that area.

My proudest moment was the day he passed his PPL checkride.

Here's a new one for me...

Giving a flight review to one of my former instructors! Haven't done it yet, but its scheduled for Friday. He's a good friend, but it should still be interesting...

Latest resources

Back