Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bell47

shoveling the dream!
Hey guys what do you use to remove those stubborn exaust stains(recip and turbine). I've tried different degreasers with varied results. I've also buffed them out with rubbing compound followed by buffing the paint back to a shine. Has anyone tried that carbon x stuff? What do you use to get out those stains? Thanks, bell47

I found that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, meaning be proactive. Carry a spray bottle of Isoprpyl (rubbing) alcohol and a towel with you and wipe the stain area after every flight or so. This will prevent the corrosive stains from building up...

my $.02...

bell47 said:
Hey guys what do you use to remove those stubborn exaust stains(recip and turbine). I've tried different degreasers with varied results. I've also buffed them out with rubbing compound followed by buffing the paint back to a shine. Has anyone tried that carbon x stuff? What do you use to get out those stains? Thanks, bell47

that carbon x stuff works pretty well. depending on how well it is caked on there you will still have to scrub pretty hard. just make sure to wear some type of hand protection because that stuff will eat up your skin.

You didn't hear it from me but go to walmart and buy some castoroil (sp) Super Clean from the automotive dept. Use full stregnth... But RINSE until ALL residue is off. it is a very bad corrosive but does the job great!

Turco aircraft cleaner. Google it and you should find some info. We get it from Aviall for around 80 bucks for a 5 gallon bucket. I wash the whole twotter and caravan with it. Spray it on the exhaust stains and watch the stains dissolve. Good stuff and not super hazardous either.

Everybody has an answer, mine is different, and superior!

Stoddard Solvent is not on your Walmart shelf, but works wonders! I can do a "bottom job" on an average plane in less than 20 minutes, and I find it much better than Simple Green! You local petroleum distributor should have it.

If you have to polish, there is nothing better than NuVite, and I've tried every polish you can think of.

Have fun !

Lilah

PilotSkydiver said:
You didn't hear it from me but go to walmart and buy some castoroil (sp) Super Clean from the automotive dept. Use full stregnth... But RINSE until ALL residue is off. it is a very bad corrosive but does the job great!

Straight simple green... let it soak, then scrub. Shiney as new!

The two of you should not be allowed around airplanes unsupervised. CastorOil Super Clean and Simple Green are extremely corrosive and should not be used around airplanes. Both of these products tell you right on the bottle not to use on aluminum.

Carbon X does a nice job of cleaning off engine soot. It also strips off the wax. So plan on spending some time making your airplane look good.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back