Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BenderGonzales

Hello all,

Looking at going to Disney (just the wife and I) to Disney World in January or February to be kids for a few days.

Would like to stay on-site at one of the moderate resorts. Preferably the Yacht Club, Beach Club, Swan, or Dolphin -- something walking distance to Epcot. I don't want to discount the idea of staying off-site, but I'd rather not rent a car or be subject to some hotel's van schedule. We also would like the entire Disney "themeing" experience.

I'm looking for the best deal to include airfare from the midwest.

I've checked Samsclub.com and Walmart.com -- so far they're the cheapest at around $1400.

Expedia and Travelocity are about $1500 and Overstock.com kind of splits the difference.

I tried Delta and US Airways vacations, but they were both very high.

I'm open to suggestions! Thanks in advance!

Southwest Vacations usually has great deals. You'll just have to wait for the Feb. schedule to come out.

My favorite hotel at Disney is the Grand Floridian. It costs a bit more than most, but you get a great deal more out of the experience. You have the use of the monorail immediately outside your hotel lobby, you are close by to Epcot and the Magic Kingdom and the ambiance is easily the best on the property.

I use AAA auto club for my reservations and have never been disappointed. Delta or American regularly service Disney from my area (NY).

Have a great time - look out for the mouse!

Sal

Given the time of year, check Homewood Suites. If you have a AAA card, the discount is pretty good. In 2004 (early November), our rate was $69/night. At that rate, you can get a rental car and not pay more than a package deal through Disney or some package provider.

If you are military, or a DoD employee, Shaes of Green (on property) is a great deal. My familiy stayed there last summer and really enjoyed it.

I like the Homewood Suites, but I think she was looking for a bit more of the Disney themed "experience".

Grand Floridian is waaaay out of my price-range when airfare is factored in, unfortunately.

I'll call AAA and see whether their discounts beat the Sam's Club Vacations.

BenderGonzales said:
Hello all,

Looking at going to Disney (just the wife and I) to Disney World in January or February to be kids for a few days.

Would like to stay on-site at one of the moderate resorts. Preferably the Yacht Club, Beach Club, Swan, or Dolphin -- something walking distance to Epcot.

The resorts that you named are actually "Deluxe" resorts (with exception of the Swan & Dolphin) not moderate resorts. If you are after a themed experience (which I highly recommend), I would not stay at the Swan or Dolphin. They feel more like a hotel than a resort. One other place you may want to consider in the Epcot walking distance area is the Boardwalk Resort. It is actually part of the Disney Vacation Club but they will rent available rooms out to the public. If you are not familiar, it is located about 50 yards from the resort entrance of Epcot across the pond from the Yacht Club, etc. Most of the rooms have at least a kitchenette also. I know you don't go on vacation to cook, but you can boil hot dogs for lunch and save alot of cash with minimal time/effort.

If your budget is tight, you may want to consider a value resort. It is very nice to stay at the more plush resorts, but if you think about it, you go to Disney to absorb the surroundings and go to the theme parks. You will only use your room to sleep. The value resorts are very basic, but they are still themed and you will still get outstanding service. If you plan on hanging out in the room alot, then you may want to go with your moderate or deluxe resort plan.

If it is just you & the wife, then make sure you get tickets that allow you to go into Pleasure Island. It is a blast every night and, after 9pm, they kick all the kids out. You can find info online about it if you don't know it already. I would highly recommend hanging out in the Adventurers Club if you go to Pleasure Island. I hang out in there for hours at a time. One of the characters is a pilot.

You will not find any "good deals" going to Disney. I would recommend getting your reservations through Disney. You can go to this link to set it up. http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/index

On this site you can change resorts and it will show you the price differences. It is easy to use so you can see immediately how the different resorts impact the budget. As far as dates go, I would recommend the first or second week of February. I have been a couple of times during those weeks and the longest I have waited in any line is 20 minutes.

Hope this helps. I go to Disney at least twice a year and usually three or four times if the schedule will allow. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Thanks. I've looked at the value resorts and they don't look particularly impressive.

In years past we've stayed at the Portofino Bay Resort over in Universal. They had some pretty good airline discounts when I was still working for the airlines.

We were spoiled. ;)

I think we'll pass on Disney this year. Maybe look at Washington DC instead. There are some shows my wife would like to see and i'd like to visit the Udvar Hazy museum near Dulles. It'll be cold in January there, but the prices look pretty good.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Latest resources

Back