• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Best Controllers I've seen

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There's a controller on Houston approach that calls JetLink "Jet Lincoln," Chautauqua "Shaniqua," EMB-145 XRs "bent-winged pencil jets," 757s with winglets "longhorns" and 737-300 and 500s "Hoovers and Super Hoovers." He told me one night to contact Yao Ming on 124.7. It took me a second, but soon realized that Yao Ming is the center for the Houston Rockets, thus, Houston Center on 124.7. I think the dude's name is Max. Anyway, he's one of the funniest controllers I've ever heard. I haven't a clue how he gets away with some of the stuff he says over the frequency.

Minneapolis Center has the most pleasant controllers when I pass through on the transcons. They always stand out from everyone. Must not be as busy up that way or something.

Prop Trash said:
There's a controller on Houston approach that calls JetLink "Jet Lincoln," Chautauqua "Shaniqua," EMB-145 XRs "bent-winged pencil jets," 757s with winglets "longhorns" and 737-300 and 500s "Hoovers and Super Hoovers." He told me one night to contact Yao Ming on 124.7. It took me a second, but soon realized that Yao Ming is the center for the Houston Rockets, thus, Houston Center on 124.7. I think the dude's name is Max. Anyway, he's one of the funniest controllers I've ever heard. I haven't a clue how he gets away with some of the stuff he says over the frequency.

That guy's one of my favorites...

We're always Super Speedy King Air ****** (we fly an F-90).

I gotta give props to NY Tracon. Those guys deal with 10 pounds of shite in a 5 pound bag every day. In the VFR/ATR days sometime EWR would be too busy to deal with us. We be told to squawk 1200 and wait. I'd flip through the dial until I heard a controler initials of SY. That guy always got us in!! I'd trust my life to those guys. If they see a cell and say you can make it through than you can trust it'll be a smooth ride. If not they vector you around without even being asked. They are top notch.

Prop Trash said:

His name is Axe. I haven't heard him in a while, though. Houston Center can get on my nerves. Always slowing you down and turning you for sequence. Then when you get on approach, it's "Keep the hammer down, expect 27."

tjsatter said:
Yep, I agree: ANYwhere else is ahead of IAD, definitely. Is IAD a training facility? Because they have the single worst controllers I've ever seen. The airport is so simple, laid out nice, can't understand why it runs like shoote much of the time. At least ORD has a plausible excuse if they ran as bad as IAD. But ORD is the best by far

And why are the rampers predominately of middle eastern origin? Of all places.

When you squish 10 people in a two bedroom apartment you can afford to live off the $9/hr jobs.

Prop Trash said:
I think the dude's name is Max. Anyway, he's one of the funniest controllers I've ever heard. I haven't a clue how he gets away with some of the stuff he says over the frequency.

That guy is good. He calls the 73-900 the Super Duper Hoover and when the Nine's and 80's were still prevelant he called 'em the Bubba Jet and the Baby Bubba Jet. He also told a "Mad Dog" to look off the left wing and he might see his "Mini-me" (us in the 145) going to the parallel.

One of his best transmissions was "Previous controller is no longer a factor."

And when he gives you a Traffic Advisory and starts it with "Traffic, Traffic" in the exact TCAS voice it's pretty damn funny too.

Besides being funny, he also will shoot you thru a good soft spot when the WX is crap and we're deviating to get outta IAH.

Him and that lady that sounds like "mom" are my two favorite IAH Tracon controllers. The Casey Casem IAH Tower guy is my favorite local controller. That dude is NEVER in a bad mood.

General Lee said:
ATL is by far the best. As long as you stay on speed, everything works out. The controllers are nice and calm. The worst are ORD, IAD, and most of the NYC airports. Worst center--Indy.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Yeah, right. Clear day, no weather and you get a hold 300nm from ATL at FL300 for 30 min. The reason given, too much traffic.

Same conditions, short approach to ATL is a 15 mile final and 160kts. DFW 6 , go fast.

ATL tower my ass, those hillbilly controllers are lucky they only have to deal with parallels. Even I could set up a 30 mile final with everybody doing 170kts. Props go to the ORD, EWR, BOS and anybody else who's airport looks like a spagetti bowl. How they get everybody lined up in proper order for departure is PFM to me.

Biff

Latest resources

Back