• This site moved from forums.flightinfo.com to flightinfo.com. Please update your bookmarks.

Best Buy???

EV120

Are we there yet?
Total Time
9900+
Does anyone know if Best Buy has flight department? Last I new they did a lot of chartering/airline for travel. One would think a company of it's size and geograhpic reach would have a need for in house travel.

Any info would be appreciated.

EV

Melon

Big Member
Total Time
They crashed one of their Encores in PUB last year, unfortunate accident that killed all on board. I am assuming they still have a flight department, but I have no idea where they would be if they do.

Gulfstream 200

Database Expert
Total Time
Melon said:
They crashed one of their Encores in PUB last year, unfortunate accident that killed all on board. I am assuming they still have a flight department, but I have no idea where they would be if they do.

Was that Circuit City maybe?

421Driver

Total Time
Yep, that was Circuit City. One of two Citations making the same flight across the county.

Boondock Saint

Total Time
Plenty
Yup they do. They have a couple of Excels based in MSP.

BoilerUP

Citation style...
Total Time
1500+
Had a Best Buy mid-level manager tell me last week they had a "Beech 400" based at Flying Cloud...but he wasn't a pilot, so that could be wrong.

sydeseet

Huge Member
Total Time
Melon said:
Circuit City straight C V; N500AT.

Don't get me started......

SabreFlyR

Total Time
BoilerUP said:
Had a Best Buy mid-level manager tell me last week they had a "Beech 400" based at Flying Cloud...but he wasn't a pilot, so that could be wrong.

Seem to remember that the CEO of BB had a 400A of his own. This was several years ago though, so it may not be so any longer.

EV120

Are we there yet?
Total Time
9900+
Now that you mention it, I also seem to remember a 400 at Eliott FCM with a BB registration.

Does anyone have any info for their department, or do they use Elliot for pilots?

sydeseet

Huge Member
Total Time
cosmotheassman said:
Best Buy is owned by Radio Shack/Tandy Corporation...

UUUUUHHHHHHH, where you gettin' that info from?

Last I heard they are a freestanding independent public company.

Best buy could swallow Radio shack whole I'd imagine.

typhoonpilot

Daddy
Total Time
17000+
Some wickedly bad info here so far. Best Buy, per say, does not have it's own flight department. They own two Citation Excels that are operated out of the MSP area. Not MSP itself, but a smaller field nearby. The company that operates the airplanes is associated with TAG to do some extra 135 work for the airplanes when they aren't doing Best Buy flying. I believe they have 6 pilots right now. Plans are to get another aircraft in about 1.5 years to bring the fleet to 3. The third aircraft has already been ordered and it is not a Citation, something bigger. Sorry to be cryptic, but I don't know how much of this info my friend would want to be public. They have gotten the pay up to a reasonable level for Excels.

It was Circuit City that crashed a plane last year, not Best Buy.

Radio Shack has nothing to do with Best Buy.

Best Buy did have the Beechjet in the 90s, but no longer have it.

The Excel N numbers both end in BB.

There was another thread on Best Buy over a year ago. More info there if you do a search.

Typhoonpilot

Bushhatesyou

Total Time
>0
I used to work for the FBO that kept Best Buy's two Excels. ASI Jet Center out of FCM in MN is where they are based. Dick S. the founder/pres. personally owns both aircraft and leases them for use to Best Buy. Thay are also on TAG aviations 135 cert. So you would not be employed by Best Buy offically

Back in '03 I knew of one new guy coming on board, not sure how the dept. is set up right now.

TurboAWD

Total Time
why?
Hey, I used to work at ASI too, before they changed the name to "jet center"

Couldn't stand the owner or mgmt (mike K).

Anway, they used to use that Beech 400, but now are on the 2 exels and my understanding that the new airplane on order is still a citation (Soviergn).

I never got the feeling that it was a great flying job. Not horrible, just not great.

Bushhatesyou

Total Time
>0
HAHA Mike K I heard he got fired... Tim A. is the owner. That guy is one of the biggest tools in aviation!! I agree I think most of the Best Buy guys were wishing for something better. So did you do any flying with the famous Anders Christensen?

TurboAWD

Total Time
why?
Tim is a certainly an ass. I love the way he screws over his 100LL customers because of his aspiration for JET-A customers. He will never be able to compete with elliot or exec except by being cheep. He actually believes his CFI's are screwing HIM!

As far as anders, he gave me my private, MEI, and ATP rides. I heard he is still working...will he ever retire?

Last edited:

Bushhatesyou

Total Time
>0
Ha.... I took all my ride except Private and CFI..... And yeah he is still around givin checkrides. Im sure he will retire when he is either A. Dead or B. The MPLS FSDO says enough. You ever notice that MN seems to have very few and far between flying gigs? And the ones that do pay crappy...(even for aviation.) I moved to KY and it seems a whole world opened up to me.