• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Best alternative to Ray Bans

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Be careful to not get polarized glasses!! They may work in your bug smasher, but in anything a little bigger, the instrument faces tend to be polarized to cut down on instrument face glare. Your glasses could prevent you from seeing what is on your gauges or screens.

That being said, I like my RayBans or Serengeti glasses. Since pilots tend to wear their glasses so much, I believe you should invest the money and get a good pair.

Also, I bought my RayBans at a Lens Crafters. They were the same price that I had seen else where, but the sales person sat me down and fitted the glasses to my head. Makes a big difference in how they fit, especially under headsets.

I have used www.parkavenuesunglasses.com in the past to buy 2 pair of Ray-Bans. Good service and great prices - think I paid something like $60 less than Sunglass Hut wanted, big surprise. I use RB Predator Metal Wrap's, love 'em. Someday I'll be able to afford some Maui Jim's but that G5 type rating is still a few years away!!!!

I agree, Maui Jim's are the best. I have a pair and love them. They worked fine in my old "rope-start" Citation 500.

Some airplanes with electrically heated windows you can't see out so good. The DC-9 for example, looking out the cockpit windows you would see swirls of rainbows.

Advance cockpits like the G-IV and Falcon 50EX (EFIS), some of the screens are also distorted. If you turn your head, some of the screens go black! Strange.

As far as Blue Blockers go...I don't recommend them. They might be fine in a Cessna, but they really distort the colors in the cockpit. Even in basic cockpits the instrument markings look a little weird. I suppose you could get used to them, but I don't like them. In advance cockpits, everything is color coded, so its not good to have distorted colors.

So now I have my Maui Jim Kahuna's for the car, and my Serengeti's in my flight bag.

JetPilot500

stingray said:
Serengeti is the best, I've tried many others they are not as
good, plus polarized glasses just won't work in a lot of "todays cockpits"

See you learn something everyday! I had no idea that it was polarization that caused the screens to go "black"; I just assumed that every pair of sunglasses did that. For the record it's no problem to see the screen in front of you with polarized glasses (like my Maui Jim's), but if you try to look at the copilots MFD it looks black.

I guess I'm going start using the Serengeti’s again.

Lens Crafters offers 30% discount with AAA membership. Sunglass Hut offers 20%. You have to ask for it though. They dont advertise it.

Latest resources

Back