Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

scudrunner

Just curious which is a better airline in terms of salary,
benefits, schedule and living conditions for family.
Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

How does Emirates compare to Etihad? It seems like Etihad may pay a little better but maybe Emirates has a superior quality of life??? Housing is obviously a problem for Etihad but are there any other glaring problems? Can you upgrade in 4 years or so at Emirates? I've heard fo's can save 70k/year after expenses at Emirates. Is that realistic? thanks.....

EK has a pension which is another 12-15% extra on top of your salary, they pay for utilities and have a limo pick you up for work.....

How does Emirates compare to Etihad? = From what I hear EK is far better organized and managed at all levels. Emirates is profitable, Etihad is not. Emirates has brand recognition, Etihad does not. Emirates is mature and stable in their HR practices, Etihad is not. Etihad has a Swiss/German Centric flight ops management while Emirates is more English/Australian/UAE local. Emirates has stamped out a lot of the corruption and petty theft endemic to any employer in the region. It's doubtful that Etihad has as their very own CEO participates in it. Those are more of the big picture type things.

It seems like Etihad may pay a little better but maybe Emirates has a superior quality of life??? The answer to this depends a lot on the make up of your family. When I last looked a few years ago Etihad did pay more if you were single. I.E., your take home after expenses was more. When children were brought into the equation the Emirates package became much better as Emirates benefits are far superior in regards to school, health care, retirement, etc.

Housing is obviously a problem for Etihad but are there any other glaring problems? General lack of organization and the aforementioned corruption.

Can you upgrade in 4 years or so at Emirates? Also been awhile since I've made this calculation, but probably not. It would be more like 6-7 for someone who joins today.

I've heard fo's can save 70k/year after expenses at Emirates. Is that realistic? Again, it depends on your family make up and which school you send your kids to. A single F.O. living in company accommodation can save a lot of money if he/she keeps their entertainment expenses low. When I joined I was married with no children and the pay was $5000/month. I easily saved $2500/month. Others were struggling to pay for two kids in the American school and keep up a more active lifestyle.

[/quote]

Typhoonpilot

6-7 years for an upgrade? That is the most pessimistic prediction I have heard yet. Are the new A350 going to be for fleet renewal rather than growth?

Thanks,

mn

6-7 years for an upgrade? That is the most pessimistic prediction I have heard yet. Are the new A350 going to be for fleet renewal rather than growth?

Thanks,

mn

Well, I can't say I know the fleet plan because it constantly changes. I would expect a portion of new arrivals to be used a replacements for retiring aircraft. The A330-200s, B777-200s, and B777-300s are getting older. They first A330 is 10 years old and the first B777 more than that. The A330s were supposed to start leaving the fleet this year, but it appears to have been delayed concurrent with delivery delays to the A380 and B777.

With over 2000 pilots on the list now one would have to see roughly 4000 total on the list to upgrade if they were on the bottom today. If the airline hires 300 pilots per year for the next 6 years that brings it up to 3800. Add in some attrition, and a pilot on the bottom today could be looking at 6 years based on projected growth.

I think that is pretty realistic.

Typhoonpilot

I would agree with your assessment. The only thing for certain is uncertainty in this industry.

How many pilots are retiring with the passage of age 65? How many pilots get bypassed for upgrade?

Thanks for answering my many questions.

mn

Latest resources

Back