Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

mrswede

best cheap 4 seat aircraft

I am looking to buy a cheap 4 seater. $30k or less. I have been looking at Piper 140, Tri-pacer or Beech Musketeer. Which aircraft would have the lowest maintance cost and least problems?

Last edited:
Cessna 150 with 13,000 hours and a cooler in the back as a child seat, two small kids, two small people up front. $14,000, 2000TBO

A Cherokee 140 is a 4-seat airplane only if you're on partial tanks and everyone is way below standard weight for modern Americans. :D

I.P. Freley said:
A Cherokee 140 is a 4-seat airplane only if you're on partial tanks and everyone is way below standard weight for modern Americans. :D

w/ 160 conversion you're alright.

Best 4 seat cheap aircraft

1968-1975 Cessna 172 with the Penn Yann 180 hp conversion( O-360A4M). Brings up the useful load and if you've got the small tanks ( 38 gal. useful) than you get almost 1000 lbs useful. Watch your endurence though. The A4M burns 10.5 to 13 gph. So Really about 2 hours with reserve. I had a 1968I with the coversion. Loved it. Had the fast wing ( pre-cuff) and it climbed with 2 adults and full fuel at 1200-1400 fpm till 3k. Easy to work on too. Good luck :)

I think the term cheap airplane is an oxymoron. Having owned three, there is always expensive surprises. All that being said, I do not think you can beat an older C-172 1968-1975 with Lycoming O-320.

PilotYIP,

You fly outa Willow Run? I gotta freight gig flying into DTW every night. What is the DA20 operator out there? AmeriJet?

I would say go for the 172. A friend has a '61 hawk (fastback) w/ a 180 HP constant speed, and STOL kit. It is a relatively inexpensive purchase with alot of room for improvement. The basic 172 is a great stable platform for any use. Put in the 180 HP and you got a great 4 place airplane. The STOL kit makes it a great bush plane. With a few speed mods that he has put on makes it solid 125 - 130 knots cruise. Seems kind fast for a hawk but loves it at 8000 feet. Dont know for sure what the mission your aspiring to complete but this is a hard to beat combo.

qmaster3 said:
w/ 160 conversion you're alright.

What is a 160 conversion? Is that a conversion to a 160hp engine?

The one I flew had a 150hp engine... And boy, what a slug. :D

mrswede said:
I am looking to buy a cheap 4 seater. $30k or less. I have been looking at Piper 140, Tri-pacer or Beech Musketeer. Which aircraft would have the lowest maintance cost and least problems?

It kinda depends on what you want the plane for. You specified 4 seater. If you really plan to fill all four seats very often, then I believe the Tri-Pacer will haul the biggest load. Don't have the figures in front of me, but I've been told several times the PA-22-150/160 will haul 4 170 pounders and full fuel. (legally) Can't think of another aircraft in it's class that will. On the other hand, the Tri-Pacer is fabric covered, so you'll need a good pre-buy, there likely won't be much in radios, and insurance is normally higher on a fabric aircraft. They're generally noisier, and colder as well.

Of the rest, The Cherokee is going to have used/refurbished parts available, Beech parts are expensive, even in aircraft terms. A few Commander 100s are available, but it's an orphan with few to no spares available. The 172 is the most popular and often the most expensive of the class. You can find a Skyhawk for less than $30k, but if you are picky at all about things like log books, records, appearance, and radios, you won't like what you get for $30K. On the other hand, there's tons of spares and STC'd parts for C172s out there. Those built after '68 will have the Lycoming. The 180 hp conversions I've seen all go for $50k and up. The STC costs about $20K to install even after you sell the old 0-320.

I think you'll find the Cherokee is a bit cheaper to buy and reasonable to operate, but if you need (again) all four seats for seats, then you won't be happy with the Cherokee unless you live in colder climates close to sea level. The Cessna is just a bit better in hot weather. (not much)

Latest resources

Back