• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Berry?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
depends on where you get stationed as to schedule ...some are very fixed others have nearly no "schedule" at all. Yes Farmingdale slot was already filled this fall so not sure what is in mind for you. Farmingdale EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE to live..that's why nonone on furlough wanted it. Pay is $18,000/ yr. to start and not much better till upgrade. Not sure what the guy meant by not meeting 135 multi minimums...there are no multi engine minimums for 135 and no hourly minimums at all for 135 SIC which is the new hire position.

Where do I apply. As bad as some have said this is, it still beats the hell out of flight instructing at Western Michigan.

where?

As far as I know, interviews are over for now. I applied through AEPS.com back in September, but nothing new has come up since then. Check their website at berryair.com.

Deftone45075 said:
Not if it gets you violated or killed!

A little harsh, don't you think? You know of anyone being violated or killed at Berry? Violated, maybe.....but killed?

I think you'd stand just as good or better chance at a few other operators..like maybe Superior Aviation or Grand Aire, just to name a couple. As long as you feel the need to bash companies, why not include the ones where these things have actually happened...instead of airing whatever personal grievance you have with Berry?

It's true it's not the operation it once was, but I think that's primarily because several years ago they had an excellent DO and Chief Pilot that had been there a long time and were very experienced and very good at what they did. They have since moved on, (the DO to Southwest) and I think the quality of the operation has suffered because of it. Not so much because of the guys that replaced them, but since the previous DO and Chief Pilot left, the owner of the company has a much greater influence on what goes on. Whereas when the other guys were in place, they had the influence and experience to do things their way. It was definitely a better operation because of it.

I never actually worked there, but am very close friends with someone who did, and is still very familiar with the company.

Deftone

I have to agree with Deftone on this. Deftone seems to have heard the same things I have heard from the people I know who were associated with Berry. Anyway, it is too bad that a company has to fail just because of bad management, but it happens all the time. I was told by a friend of mine that when they had the dual flameout on the east coast receintly that the crew was told to lie about their story, and they were threatened with their jobs if they didnt. Its a bad market out there now, but to quote Deftone, it is not worth the consequences, especially for a company like this.

My only point was that this "lying about what happene with the dual flameout", etc..would never have happened at this company when the two guys I mentioned earlier were in charge. They ran a first class operation. It's unfortunate that things have deteriorated to the point that they have. And it's my opinion that's it's because now, without these strong, experienced individuals in the DO and Chief Pilot positions, the owner of the company puts undue (read..unsafe) pressure on the guys that are in those positions now, and this makes it's way down to the crews.

I was not defending the company, or advocating that it would be a good place to work to gain experience. I was just remarking that it wasn't all that long ago (maybe 3-5 years), that it really was a first class operation, and giving credit to the two guys that made it so.

I will also be the first to agree that for younger pilots striving for experience, especially the opportunity to gain turbine time, you must look long and hard at the risk vs. reward factor. When my buddy flew there, the rewards were great, and the risks minimal...particularly for this type of operation. It's too bad, especially in this tough employment environment, that things have turned so dramatically in the other direction.

berry no

currently working for berry. prefer to be vague. not ready to loose job yet. the DO and the Director of MX will both piss on your head and tell you its raining. The chief pilot is a pretty stand up guy but with little real authority. xle a flight, or attempt to for wx or mx and it will result in an immediate call from the DO, or Chief pilot who WILL PRESSURE you to complete the flight. below mins... others have made it in, airplane broke.... its not that broke!! others have made it! it is perfectly clear if you xle too many fights you will be given a call and told your services are no longer required!! (several capts have had this happen) call out sick too much, you services are no longer required (former dispatcher). etc. this was indeed a good place to work about three to two years ago. it has gone downhill since. the old chief pilot and DO was a good guy. he did keep the owners and MX in check. this is no longer the case. the owner won't even say hi to pilots in the office, in training etc. I have worked there for a while and seen the owner several times, he has yet to even say hi let alone introduce himself... unusual for a Texan even. the quality of MX has dropped alot in the last 8 months or so, the schedule now sucks, and the pay is below industry standards by about 30-40% for 19 seat pax airplanes. we are a currently profitable company, and the pilots have not been given a raise in at least 3 years or more. there is no COLA, perdeium, or expensies for meals etc. This company is in real need of a union. know any unions that take a company with 30 pilots or so? im sure i can get 18 or 19 to sign cards?

unknown for good reason

I fly for Berry and hate it...

I currently fly for Berry and hate it.

I can't say where; as you can tell from earlier posts they are pretty liberal with the axe. It isn't about pay, per diem, and other things as much as it is the attitudes of the Chief Pilot, D.O., and owner. If they didn't always seem so out to get us it'd be so much better. The chief pilot is a small man; not to generalize, but he seems to have short man syndrome. He didn't do my checkride but he seems to like to belittle people to let them know they have answered incorrectly.

I heard out on the East Coast we had a crew take the Metro off the runway empty, into a snowbank.

The kneejerk: Now F/O's can't T/O and land.

Berry is better than no job. But that's about it...

I flew metro's for a little commuter a few years back and the pay was $15.- per hour with a 70 hour guarantee for fo's,and about $10.- more for the left seat. Before taxes I made a whopping $17.000.-, this included many hours overtime. I know berry still has some higher time Capt's on furlough, and from one I know it probably is going to be permanent (I guess it's a nice way of saying 'you're fired').

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back