Berry Air

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Way2Broke

A friend was telling me that Berry Air is looking for pilots. What is the pay like? How well are the planes maintained? What is the schedule like? Can you really live anywhere you want? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

When I applied there 2 or 3 years ago starting pay for an FO was around $18k. Planes seem pretty good, and the flying is reasonable day runs in and out of military bases. The pilots I knew had to live in base, as they have no commutable way to get to work that I know of.

Get your FAR/AIM out and study how to do a PAR if you get hired. The military bases are pretty interesting.

Saw them at the Air Inc fair in DFW in Jan '06.Fly around military bases out in the Pacific. Looked pretty cool to somebody starting out. Out on the island. If I saw that back when I started out I would have done it.

Looks cool

just hired 2 do328 fos and 1 metro fo. always hiring. mx good. planes old. bases depend on position. metro crews based at specific stations based on military contracts, and fly specific routes and schedules. dornier crews dont really have bases based on the nature of the operation- no schedule or specific route. yr1 metro fo 18k dork fo 20k

was not for me

I dropped my resume off there 3 months ago and was called in 4 days. I had just been made unemployed by Katrina and was really excited to offered work near my new home town.

I started training on a Friday, the other trainee came in that morning to drop out. At the end of the day the trainee mentioned a 1 year contract. If you leave within 1 year you have to pay back the prorated cost of the training at $12K.

Details:

$18K/yr.

2 weeks of training

500-600 SIC of Metro first year

Potential of upgrade to Capt and ATP rating 2nd year. (12-15 mos, avg upgrade.)

San Marcos Tx main base with outposts in VA. Dallas, St Louis, San Diego, more that I can remember. But all kinds of contracts come up and you could be gone for weeks at a time.

The reason I chose not to go is the year contract. Also you are on call 22-23 days a month, but only average 12-15 days of flying. I am not used to sitting around, and it would not allow me to pick up a second job, to help make ends meet.

It would be a good job if you are young, have no attachments, could afford to live on $18K, and were willing to stick with it 2 or more years to get the Turbine PIC, and ATP. Hopefully you meet these requirements.

Good Luck

some of the details laid out be the fuge are fact and others fiction. upgrade depends on need, i think it would be off the mark to say anyone would have to wait 2 years. 8-12 months would be a more accurate figure. being called out without a day or two notice is rare. almost never for all bases other than san marcos. also, expect training to last 4-5 weeks. current metro bases: san marcos richmond louisville omaha san diego and i think concord, ca. not a bad gig if you wish to avoid the regionals. adios

Agreed

I agree with Labbutt's analysis. It would be a good gig if you wish to avoid the regionals. When I say 2 years to get turbine PIC, I meant it will be 2 years to get a couple hundred hours of the PIC in your log book, not to get in the left seat.

I also agree you will not be probably not be called out at the last moment while on call. It would still be nearly impossible to get a second job, although the cheif pilot made it seem like a possibility. Asking around made it sound unlikely.

If you are willing to invest 2 years and can survive on $18k, it could be a good gig on the way up or even long term, you will probably get to fly out of a lot of cool places over a few years with the company. It is very unlikely you will be in their Marshal Island base hanging out with the native ladies though, I think they only have 2 planes there.

I was not willing to invest 2 years though. I wish I could have though $18k, 14 days of work/month and turbine SIC is a lot better than my current gig.
Jordan

I have a friend that started there about 4 years ago. He started in the right seat and when it came time to upgrade, he didn't have enough night hours. Berry threw him some cash to go rent an airplane to get the rest of the hours and they upgraded him. He likes it, but is always worried about the military contracts when it comes time for renewal.

Latest resources

Back