Bermuda Questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Think about what you're saying man.

Nobody plans on landing on a taxiway. But in the event of an EMERGENCY combined with either a disabled aircraft or a runway closure for whatever reason, because the airport is so remote, the taxiway can be and has been used as emergency runway.

I agree KV, the taxiway out there can be used to land in an emergency. No issues there. I guess I just wouldn't plan to use it because of someone else who has emergency because I didn't bother to plan on enough fuel to get home.

I agree KV, the taxiway out there can be used to land in an emergency. No issues there. I guess I just wouldn't plan to use it because of someone else who has emergency because I didn't bother to plan on enough fuel to get home.
You can "plan" on enough fuel to get home, but often plans go awry. You plan fuel based on a wx divert, but if an accident fod's the runway, it may take more than a few minutes to determine if it will be temporary or otherwise. Knowing the taxiway is an emergency alternate is nice. In fact, I would bet if the runway is closed for due to an accident, you'll have many aircraft already in the area being able to use the taxiway to land during the day.

I went out and back to Bermuda a couple of times a few years ago with a satellite phone and no HF. Had no problems and just called New York over the phone with position reports-the number was on the charts. We had to give the controller the number to our phone in case he needed us. Maybe things have changed since?

Been too busy on other projects. I did read where you can go VFR below 050 in certain Oceanic or below 180 south or east of 60 I think but I haven't had time to call personally or finish reading. I don't think though going VFR in Oceanic control negates use of HF or Sat Phone. When I did talke to Oceanic personally they didn't offer up the Sat Phone option. But at least we all know a bit more. Well maybe not muich. Least know where to call. Hell of a lot easier when all we do is fly the plane thats already equipped.

Last edited:
someone may have gotten by with a flight phone in the past, but that does not meet the requirement of FAR 91.511

"(d) Notwithstanding the provisions of paragraph (a) of this section, when both VHF and HF communications equipment are required for the route and the airplane has two VHF transmitters and two VHF receivers for communications, only one HF transmitter and one HF receiver is required for communications."

Thanks for all the good info. By the way it's a Hawker 800A. We have an HF radio. I don't know how to use it lol. I'm sure nothing google can't help me out with.

Latest resources

Back