Berkshire’s 2010 Financial Results-NetJets

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

gret

..."A huge story in this sector’s year-to-year improvement occurred at NetJets. I can’t overstate the breadth and importance of Dave Sokol’s achievements at this company, the leading provider of fractional ownership of jet airplanes. NetJets has long been an operational success, owning a 2010 market share five times that of its nearest competitor. Our overwhelming leadership stems from a wonderful team of pilots, mechanics and service personnel. This crew again did its job in 2010, with customer satisfaction, as delineated in our regular surveys, hitting new highs.

Even though NetJets was consistently a runaway winner with customers, our financial results, since its acquisition in 1998, were a failure. In the 11 years through 2009, the company reported an aggregate pre-tax loss of $157 million, a figure that was far understated since borrowing costs at NetJets were heavily subsidized by its free use of Berkshire’s credit. Had NetJets been operating on a stand-alone basis, its loss over the years would have been several hundreds of millions greater.

We are now charging NetJets an appropriate fee for Berkshire’s guarantee. Despite this fee (which came to $38 million in 2010), NetJets earned $207 million pre-tax in 2010, a swing of $918 million from 2009. Dave’s quick restructuring of management and the company’s rationalization of its purchasing and spending policies has ended the hemorrhaging of cash and turned what was Berkshire’s only major business problem into a solidly profitable operation.

Dave has meanwhile maintained NetJets’ industry-leading reputation for safety and service. In many important ways, our training and operational standards are considerably stronger than those required by the FAA. Maintaining top-of-the-line standards is the right thing to do, but I also have a selfish reason for championing this policy. My family and I have flown more than 5,000 hours on NetJets (that’s equal to being airborne 24 hours a day for seven months) and will fly thousands of hours more in the future. We receive no special treatment and have used a random mix of at least 100 planes and 300 crews. Whichever the plane or crew, we always know we are flying with the best-trained pilots in private aviation."...

..."In 2010, NetJets’ revenues increased 7% over 2009. The increase was due to higher worldwide flight revenue hours and increased pass through costs, partially offset by lower management fees due to fewer aircraft in the NetJets program. NetJets generated pre-tax earnings of $207 million in 2010 compared to a pre-tax loss of $711 million in 2009, which included $676 million of asset writedowns and other downsizing costs. The asset write downs were primarily related to excess aircraft that have been subsequently sold or are expected to be sold for cash consideration approximating their written down values. Such costs in 2010 were relatively minor. On January 1, 2010, we began charging NetJets a guarantee fee related to the level of its outstanding debt. The guarantee fee was $38 million in 2010. Had a similar fee been charged in 2009, NetJets’ pre-tax loss of $711 million would have increased by $69 million. The improvement in earnings was due to the increase in revenues and to an overall reduction in flight operations and administrative costs, partially offset by higher fuel costs. NetJets continues to own more aircraft than is required for present operations and we expect to continue to dispose of selected aircraft over time. NetJets’ operating cost structure has been reduced to better match customer demand and we believe that NetJets will continue to operate profitably in the future."...

Why not? It's WB's annual letter to BH shareholders, which is a public company. It's not a confidential, internal document.

Relax, Francis!
I think you may wanna be the one to relax. A post soiled in sarcasm flies right over most on here. Enjoy your weekend sport!!

I think you may wanna be the one to relax. A post soiled in sarcasm flies right over most on here. Enjoy your weekend sport!!

Thanks for the lecture, "Sport." A little thin skinned there, Francis?
And "soiled in sarcasm?" A little over dramatic, don't you think?

Last edited:
Thanks for the lecture, "Sport." A little thin skinned there, Francis?
And "soiled in sarcasm?" A little over dramatic, don't you think?
Bwaaaahaaa. You can't even recognize someone poking fun at NJ before you get all high and mighty. No lecture "sport"......get over yourself.

Guys relax...the problem with writing versus talking is that everything is lost in translation. Nobody is bad here with their comments. The meaning is just lost because we aren't face to face.

Now ...with that being said, %^&@# what the F%^&* did you say?

Y'all are too funny... I got clubordfo's sarcasm right away and thought outside of a few Dooker posts it was possibly one of FI's top moments of the year. Laugh out loud funny... And the responses were priceless... It can't all be cloak and dagger boys...

Oh, and congratulations(?) to Netjets. But that might be shortsighted as THAT much turn around begs a whole other list of questions like how we you guys allowed to be so badly mismanaged for so long if one guy can fix it that fast and why? What does this say about future negotiations when your agreement comes due? I think this brings up a lot more questions no one will like the answers to than it is deserving of a pat on the back. As an owner, I'd want some answers and those people are gonna look "under the hood" of such a dramatic turnaround - they know money- and might see cuts they don't like. I'm not talking shareholder - I mean owner, the bread and butter of the business and no one likes to see the astronomical fees they've been charged were mismanaged and they got or will get less than they pay for...

Latest resources

Back