Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

peter185

Is this low?
Anyone have any ideas about this situation.

Equipment involved was a Bendix King EFIS 40 being driven by a KNS-81 RNAV and KN-53. Both strange events occurred at Grand Island, NE, the first was on Wednesday I was shooting the ILS into GRI and the EFIS 40 never switched into the LOC mode and never showed a Glideslope indication and remained in the VOR mode. Without making any changes though I flew to Topeka and flew the LOC BC and it switched to the LOC mode on the EFIS and I flew an ILS into Kansas City and it worked perfect there too. Then on Thursday going back into GRI I was shooting the LOC BC/DME and it remained in the VOR mode again. Both times the weather wasn't that low and I had the GPS approach loaded as well for a backup. Any ideas?

hope this helps

Was the LOC working and the proper freq. tuned in. If the system is not receiving a signal I believe it will de fault to VOR.

I kept thinking about it and went back and looked at the approach plate and was stunned. I was in awe when I realized that I had the VOR frequency tuned in and not the Localizer, what a rookie mistake, but a lesson was learned. For those that are looking to learn the same lesson I am including a link to the approach plate and when you look at it I think you will realize how I made the mistake.

http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0501/00173I35.PDF

we all learn something every day and hopefully do not repeat the same mistakes.

The one good thing about the EFIS system is it was trying to tell you something was not right!

Latest resources

Back