• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Being hired as a first officer for an airline

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
As long as we're at it, anyone have any tips on getting on as Mission Commander at NASA? What type of suit do you think will "seal the deal"? Should I bring a pizza?

Thanks in advance...

You have to wear diapers..

Go fly a small plane blindfolded, in the mountains, at night, in thunderstorms. If you are lucky enough to survive then you are lucky enough to get a good job flying. There is no true formula or plan to do either.

I disagree with all of the posts about type/quality of flight time. Aside from meeting the minimum flight time requirements of a specific airline it has very little to do with getting an airline job.

It's all about getting invited to the interview. The way you get invited to interviews is through networking and going to job fairs. The smaller, more obscure the job fair...the more you differ from the intended demographic...the better. Me and my group of friends are on at Deltax2, UPS, Contientalx2, Alaskax2 and Southwest and we all got our interviews mainly through job fairs. In fact one of my friends at CAL was in class less than one month after speaking with the manager of recruiting at a job fair.

Anyway, this thread is probably more likely to be read in 2 or more years when the hiring starts up again.

Good luck. It's not the best job in the world anymore, but we're still hanging on to the top ten.

I'll tell you what an airline pilot told me when I was a student pilot: 1. Never get your heart set on one airline, because it may lead you to having a disappointing career. 2. And never fly for airline "X" because of the planes they fly, that can change. 3. Keep your mind open to all sorts of flying jobs from airlines, cargo, fractional, charter, etc.

But to answer your question: Just like others have mentioned, "character" can set you apart from the guy/gal sitting next to you.

One thing I learned about aviation: A successful career has nothing to do with hard work and determination. It has everything to do with timing and good luck. Some senior captain flying international routes on a large aircraft may end up out of a job when his airline tanks and end up as first officer to some young kid on a RJ; a kid he helped teach how to fly or mentor. It happens.

So, carry a rabbits foot with you.

I agree 100%, reminds me of a quote I heard a few years ago " Be careful of the toes you step on today....they may be connected to the arse you're kissing tomorrow!!"

Every job I've ever gotten was over a beer, socializing and getting to know a few people.

The moral of his story was that the airline industry changes a lot over 20-30 years. The small crappy start-up today may be merged into a large global carrier 20 years from now. A major player today may not exist in 20 years. Go with the first "big" airline that hires you and ride it out as long as possible, if you are constantly chasing the "dream" job, that "dream" job may be constantly changing as well.

I'll agree with this one. Good luck figuring out the "right" place to be for 30 years. I sucked up every shred of information before making a airline job change 20 years ago, and guess what? Things turned out differently. Definately not bad compared to most disasters in this industry, but a step down.

Does anybody have a contact number to get my mid-triple digit UPS seniority number back :nuts:

Another poster mentioned having Check Airman time as a plus. I hope the rest of the industry is better than my company in that regard. Guys getting Widebody Int'l CKA positions after 20 years as narrow body domestic schoolhouse cubicle dwellers, others swapping from domestic CKA narrow body to WB slots because "their in the club", guys becoming #2 Chief Pilot after spending 18 out of 20 years doing test flights at a maintenance/overhaul base. Fleet pilots, "experts", appointed with ZERO time in the aircraft. (my one question to a guy like this was answered with "duhhhhhh" ). I haven't doen the CKA position at my airline, and most are very knowledgable and exactly what one should expect, but it wouldn't be a litmus test if I was hiring.

Every job I've ever gotten was over a beer, socializing and getting to know a few people.

A-men to this. Same boat here, From flight instructing to JetBlue, and 4 stops to get here. Every job gained started and ended with beers with someone what helped kick the ball down the hill. Military or otherwise you need some friends in this business. Then there are those with the golden horse shoe implanted in the A$$. That had to get there somehow though...

To become a successful airline pilot you:

1. Kiss a$$
2. Get EXTREMELY LUCKY
3. Get to know people that can vouch for you.

It's ALL about who you know. Your qualifications mean precisely NOTHING. If you have someone high enough up pushing for you, all you need to do is meet the minimums.

It also helps to be a minority or have a pair of boobs.

It also helps to be a well rounded individual, one that has a degree in something other than aviation, you hobby should not be flying an aircraft on your days off, and you give generously to as many charities as possible. Come closer so I can rubberstamp that on your forehead so you do not forget.

Latest resources

Back