Being hired as a first officer for an airline

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

no1pilot2000

This question is for the benefit for those who would like to be hired as an airline pilot in the future.

For example:

If Southwest Airlines decides to begin hiring first officers in the next few years. The first officer applicants, having similar flight time and experiences (and all have the 737 type prior to applying to SWA). What factors, other than flight time and aircraft flown, does an airline like SWA take into consideration when choosing on applicant over another?

This question is for the benefit for those who would like to be hired as an airline pilot in the future.

For example:

If Southwest Airlines decides to begin hiring first officers in the next few years. The first officer applicants, having similar flight time and experiences (and all have the 737 type prior to applying to SWA). What factors, other than flight time and aircraft flown, does an airline like SWA take into consideration when choosing on applicant over another?

At the interview, SWA checks to see whether you walked in with cowboy boots or a nifty leather jacket. It's all about fitting in.

It's all about who you know at that point. Need to have some buds that work there go in to the CPO and "stump" for you before their hiring board meets.

As long as we're at it, anyone have any tips on getting on as Mission Commander at NASA? What type of suit do you think will "seal the deal"? Should I bring a pizza?

Thanks in advance...

For example:

For comedy value, I'm going to treat this as a legit question.

PIC turbojet, Check Airman time and a college degree.

For example:

I'll tell you what an airline pilot told me when I was a student pilot: 1. Never get your heart set on one airline, because it may lead you to having a disappointing career. 2. And never fly for airline "X" because of the planes they fly, that can change. 3. Keep your mind open to all sorts of flying jobs from airlines, cargo, fractional, charter, etc.

But to answer your question: Just like others have mentioned, "character" can set you apart from the guy/gal sitting next to you.

One thing I learned about aviation: A successful career has nothing to do with hard work and determination. It has everything to do with timing and good luck. Some senior captain flying international routes on a large aircraft may end up out of a job when his airline tanks and end up as first officer to some young kid on a RJ; a kid he helped teach how to fly or mentor. It happens.

So, carry a rabbits foot with you.

Latest resources

Back