• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

LR25

Its just a vintage VW
What to do, what to do?

I work for a US WOed and I know I will be without a job soon. I do have another career to fall back on as an A&P heavyjet mechanic and currently still employed part-time as one with an airline.

My question is, when (hopefully soon) everything gets straightened out as far as all the furloughed pilots out there, will airlines, Part 135 ops, or anybody that will be hiring pilots look at those that have been furloughed and pass for someone more current other than flying small singles and twins around.

Some may face the reality that it may be years before they return to the cockpit, never get that recall.

I can make descent money turning wrenches all day long, but I won't be up there doing what I love and staying sharp other than flying friends airplanes on the weekend or towing the occasional banner (my past profession).

I know the saying about your not an airline pilot until you have been furloughed 2 or 3 times but, the reality is upon alot of us that have never been here before. All I have is questions about the future.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Industry is cyclical, up and down, growth and decline are part of the natural order. I had a buddy back in the early nineties who was a shoe in for interviewing. Lots of heavy time, B-52 flight commander in desert storm and couldn't get a civilian flying job. So he went from the Air Force to the Coast Guard. He is getting ready to retire at 42. Not a bad deal.
As for myself, furloughed from a major, I kept a reserve job in the Coast Guard. I took a reserve recall job, no flying, but probably the only place I could fall back on a receive a fair days pay for a fair days work.
The major airlines were already declining long before 9/11. United had cut their hiring a full year prior to 9/11 to retirement replacement only. These past 6 months have been good in the respect that it forced cuts that needed to be made, reduced air and airport capacity and gave the "system" the breather that it needed, and hopefully will develop into a better "growth" plan from both airlines and government, (then again probably not).
So back to your question, I know you have heard it before, do the thing you enjoy most for as long as you can. Good luck.

...just another furloughee

Latest resources

Back