Being based at LGA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PA31Ho

So I'm curious.... for those of you based at LGA, especially on reserve. Where do you live? I'm assuming with the pay at a regional, you cannot afford to live there, unless of course you are in the slums of White Plains or Queens. I can see commuting wouldn't be so bad, except if you are on reserve, you wouldn't have enough time to commute. Or am I missing something?

Thanks

If you're still thinking about the LGA base with PDT, I don't think the lines are commutable. The company knows its a problem, and might even be trying to fix it.

If memory serves, there are a bunch of ads for crash pads in the crew room. I see people walking across the bridge over the highway in uniform towing bags quite frequently to the neighborhood across the highway, which doesn't look too bad considering its right next to a busy a$$ airport.

average crashpads are 200+ a month, less for farther away/scummier ones

you can live in the crew room like alot of the newbies are apparently doing, its like a flophouse in there sometimes, people sleepin on all the sofas, takin up space...and its not just pdt people either

Seems to me it was mostly the FAs, but i have seen quite a few pilots crashing out in there. Who was it that brought a cot in there a few months ago.

the cot, well i know one guy who did, which all things considered isn't so bad, especially since he let others use it,
now people puttin their nasty ass feet all over the sofas and arm rests...thats just wrong,
sleepin all day long practically...so people have to leave most of the lights off and be quiet....rediculous...

AmEagle based out of LGA here. There are guys that commute and sleep on the bunks in the Ready Reserve Room at the airport at no cost, and there are guys that do the crash-pad for 200 a month give or take. There are also a few that rent rooms in the area to avoid sharing with 10 others. The rents for rooms in the immediate area are around 350-550 a month. Most that I know commute from as close as Boston to as far away as Europe (allthough that is a line-holder with plenty of time off).

I'm on reserve and commute to the west coast cuz I'm crazy, and it actually works somehow.

Good luck!

Dash8, I'm telling ya man, it's only a matter of time before somebody packs a TravelPro full of camping gear and sets up camp right there in the crew room. Seriously, if people can go backpacking in the mountains for a week with just the pack on their backs, you can get enough stuff in a TravelPro to survive 4 days of out-n-backs in LGA (even better if your trip is an overnight and you get to use to real shower at a hotel!). A little pup tent, a thermarest pad, a sleeping bag, some earplugs and an eye mask, and suddenly you're not in New York city, but camping in Yosemite! And the can is just down the hall so you can take a little bird bath in the sink the next morning.

Ahhh, the glamorous life of an airline pilot.I know a few cocky flight instructors that could use this thread as a cold dose of reality.

Latest resources

Back