Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Beginning of the end for Regional pilots?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The flying public would never accept a flight without pilots.

On the other hand, this from CNN, "U.S. Secretary of Defense Robert Gates has said that the next generation of fighter planes -- the F-35 that took decades to develop at a cost of more than half-a-billion dollars each -- will be the last manned fighter aircraft."

I have heard that FedEx is actively looking to be flying pilotless aircraft by 2020. I agree that it's further out for pax, but don't expect your grandkids to be able to have a piloting career.

The flying public would never accept a flight without pilots.

I don't know about that. Ryanair just took a poll that indicated that the majority of the traveling public would elect to stand up for the entire flight for a cheaper fare. There is no telling how low this industry will go.

I could see maybe being down to one pilot. There are situations that a computer just simply can't handle, such as weather that radar doesn't catch, or that computer's just will never be fool-proof.

A guy not on the airplane is much more likely to take risks he wouldnt otherwise take if he was actually there in the cockpit.

but hey if the public wants to pay me to sit at home and fly in my underwear, i'm good with that.

I have heard that FedEx is actively looking to be flying pilotless aircraft by 2020. I agree that it's further out for pax, but don't expect your grandkids to be able to have a piloting career.

Whatever. You really believe that people will get on a plane with noone at the actual controls ready to deal with whatever happens on the plane?
Cool. PM me for a great deal on sweet oceanfront property with a cool bridge included.

W

The capability to design an airline grade airplane to fly without human intervention is VERY possible. What you don't realize in the MASSIVE infrastructure revamp that would have to take place to accommodate the ENTIRE operation. Taxi way guidance systems, terminal parking automation, automated adverse weather operations. There are far to many operational areas that would cost BILLIONS of dollars to automate the air travel process. It will happen I am convinced of that. Just as sci-movies in the early century suggested we would travel to space (And we did) we can be assured that air travel in the future will rule out human element. Not in the next 30 years though. Of course if OBAMA could just write a check........

The capability to design an airline grade airplane to fly without human intervention is VERY possible. What you don't realize in the MASSIVE infrastructure revamp that would have to take place to accommodate the ENTIRE operation. Taxi way guidance systems, terminal parking automation, automated adverse weather operations. There are far to many operational areas that would cost BILLIONS of dollars to automate the air travel process. It will happen I am convinced of that. Just as sci-movies in the early century suggested we would travel to space (And we did) we can be assured that air travel in the future will rule out human element. Not in the next 30 years though. Of course if OBAMA could just write a check........

Sweet! It just so happens I have another great piece of prime real estate with an ocean view, private waterfall, personal airstrip for your unmanned private aircraft, a castle trimmed in 14k gold, and fully staffed with Playboy Bunnies 24/7, and every Star Trek episode personally autographed by Captain Kirk!

All this for no money down and 0% interest for 25 years!

PM me now for the exciting details!

W

Not gonna happen in my lifetime or my kids lifetime. It seems the more complex with computers airplanes get the more they break. I've said it before, when I can take a nap or read the paper with a fed in the jumpseat, then I'll think its a possibility.

Latest resources

Back