Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

your_dreamguy

Hello,

I have worked over 5 years as an aerospace engineer with two major companies. I lost my engineering job in Feb. I've decided to finally try and get a job as a pilot.

Can anyone help me out?

I am 30, have 1330 TT, 100 multi, MEI, CFII, CFI, ATP (121) written.

Can anyone answer the following questions:

1. I have only flown 50 hours in the last year. Can I get hired just on that or do I have to build more time before applying anywhere?

2. Do you know of any foreign aircarriers I could apply to? I only have US citizenship.

3. Do you know of any operations that would be interested in hiring me as a FE?

4. Does anyone know contact info. for "Starcheck" ?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Serious responses only, please.

First question...do you have ca$h saved up from being an engineer? Your going to need some left over ca$h to supplement your income if you go to the regionals.

Are your Cfi certificates current? Is there any chance of teaching at a local airport near you? Even with your current time, you might be able to get on with a regional. Fax your resume to everyone....the worst they can say is no. Thats not any worse off than you are now.

Get flying and keep flying...thats the most important. Try a search thread on starcheck. Are they the same as airnet?? there have been alot of posts on them.

As for the FE or foreign carriers, cant help you much there.

1900cpt

Getting hired

Actually, you present pretty good quals to begin a career change.

You could stand to be more current and be earning money as a pilot. You need a bunch more multi. To that end, assuming your CFI is current, I'd start looking for an instructing job. You are much farther along than most career changers, so you might have a chance at the more premium CFI jobs. For example, you more than exceed the requirements for Mesa Airlines Pilot Development, www.flightcareers.com . The deal there was that instructors would be sent to ground school and be trained as Mesa FOs.

You're not that far away from being commuter material. Along with applying for instructing jobs, which is a realistic goal right now, I'd begin applying to the commuters. Mesa and a couple of others have mins of 1000 total-100 multi. Realistically, you need much more to be competitive, but I see no harm in starting to apply. You can start a paper trail that demonstrates your interest.

Of course, get your ATP as soon as you hit those mins.

I don't think that too many companies hire PFEs these days. Usually, PFEs also have their A & Ps.

You are really hitting the ground running. Good luck with your job search. I do agree with the above that you should have your finances in order because it may be a while before you find something.

First,
Do a search of all the threads on this very subject. This question seems to get asked a lot on here. Also, don't take a job as an FE unless you are sure you can also become a FO. Just ask some of the guys at ATA that didn't have the time, and had to leave and re-apply when they got more flight time. Next, get current and fly as an instructor, or anything else you can. Also, talk to everyone you can about your new career. Let your family know that it will be tough, but much less tough than living with you if you have regrets about never giving it a try.

Get the book "I can do anything, if I only knew what it was," by Babara Sher. It's a great book for career changers. I wish more of my fellow pilots were a bit older, with technical backrounds and some life experience. Don't worry, you'lle do fine. Good luck.

Hey, Skydiverdriver . . .

I appreciated your positive comment about older pilots. Too bad H.R. sees things differently. Thank you, sir. :)

Last edited:
Hey, this "older pilot" (37) just got hired by Comair. I was a former nuclear submrine driver and Los Alamos proton accelerator operator. I sincerely believe that my background significantly increased my chances in getting hired by Comair. You should have similar luck. After all, your degree and work climate was high-tech and high-consequence just like flying the RJ. I also had an "in" by graduating from Comair Aviation Academy after coming here with only a PPL.

I would encourage you to instruct your butt off to regain currency and a recent flying history. How much instrument time do you have? The Capt that reviewed my logbook was looking for the supposed industry standard minimum 10% on instruments. He added up both hood/actual time in the airplane, and time in the Frasca. So, if you're low in instrument, get yourself a safety pilot and rack up some time on the gages.

I agree with skydiverdriver and bobbysamd in that us guys with a little "life experience" make for good pilots. I have seen so many early 20somethings come and go at Comair Academy and the 30somethings making it stick.

Best of luck to you and hopefully we'll see you on the flight line soon! Believe me, it CAN BE DONE!! But I do hope you have reserve credit, or good bank!

Regards,
John, Longwood, FL

Hey Hovernut

I was going to call you and ask if you got the job but this post answered my question. Congratulations!

I also got the good letter and am I psyched! I am looking forward to working for this company - haven't heard anything bad about them, only good.

Again congratulations! See you in class.

ps heard from one other person and he is also in. 3 out of 9 so far - pretty good.

Hovernut,

I exchanged emails with you a while back.

Congratulations!

One of my friends who went to Comair Academy just upgraded to captain. Just over five years since the day he enrolled at the Academy with his PPL. It would have been a little quicker had it not been for the strike and 9/11.

Man, I should have joined him. The money I saved by not becoming a commercial pilot I lost in the stock market.

Best of Luck to you.

Great! I guess us 'older gents' still have a good shot at flying some pretty darned neat-O jets! The other Academy fellow in our group made it, too. I didn't get a hold of the email list, so I don't have any idea how the others fared; well, I hope!

We're going to have a good time, and I'm counting on you former 121 guys to be a good resource in class!

John

Latest resources

Back