Begin Training in a Baron???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Dax Roy

I'm looking for some opinions or feedback on flight training programs that utilize high performance singles and twins for beginners. For instance a new student at Global Alliance with zero flight hours will begin flight training in a Baron. Mesa starts their students in Bonanzas (San Juan) and Mooney Eagles (Pro-Focus).

What is the theory behind this method of training? Is there really an advantage to this type of training when it comes to getting hired by an airline?

How is any operator these days able to have student pilots soloing a Baron or any other twin? Not likely to be insurable. Remember that the limits and regulations that the FAA imposes is nothing compared to the insurance industry. Of course if the plane isn't worth a dime .....?

Training in high-performance airplanes

Why not? It's all relative. You won't know the difference because you won't know from anything else.

I instructed at Mesa in the A36 Bonanzas. Mesa was a quasi-European-style ab initio program. The idea is to train pilots from the beginning to be airline pilots flying the line. In other words, a mentality suited to airline flying, which means retractable landing gear, constant speed props and faster, advanced aircraft. Also, briefings and callouts appropriate to the line, which require these kinds of aircraft. In Mesa's case, we were training pilots to fly Beech 1900s, so starting them in A36s and B58 Barons was appropriate. The end result was MAPD produced 300-hour pilots who were virtually ready to fly the line as Beech 1900 FOs. And, of course, Mesa hires grads from its school.

My recollection was that our MAPD students soloed at about the same times as students who fly simple singles. They earned their Privates in the same times. Once again, everything is relative.

I'd say that training in high-performance/complex aircraft from the beginning can help because you will know how to fly slicker, more advanced aircraft. That will help you transition to commuter and corporate equipment. Sometimes, people who've flown primarily Cessna and Piper fall behind when they're thrown into something much faster and where things happen faster. However, the cost may not be worth the advantage. It's worth considering, though.

Good luck with your choice.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back