Been To Guatemala?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PA31Ho

I'm flying a B200 from Tampa to Guatemala in May. I am just trying to see if anybody can give me some good advice before I go there. Where to stay, what to look out for, etc? Thanks in advance.

Guatemala City? Crazy crowded. One runway on the top of a plateau. Tons of traffic and the tower controllers are for the most part clueless. I was there once VMC, but would be scared to go there if it was IMC. I did a self-directed 360 on about a 6 mile final so that I wouldn't run over the aircraft in front of me. I don't know if the tower just couldn't see him in front of me, or did not realize how short the spacing was. Or maybe he assumed I could maintain about 90 knots ground speed in my C-17...

Guatemala City? Crazy crowded. One runway on the top of a plateau. Tons of traffic and the tower controllers are for the most part clueless. I was there once VMC, but would be scared to go there if it was IMC. I did a self-directed 360 on about a 6 mile final so that I wouldn't run over the aircraft in front of me. I don't know if the tower just couldn't see him in front of me, or did not realize how short the spacing was. Or maybe he assumed I could maintain about 90 knots ground speed in my C-17...

Been there hundreds of times. Basically what he says. The controllers for the most part have no idea. Basically they will just clear you for the approach and you are on your own. Follow the approach and departure to the letter.
They also have been known to go on strike with no advance notice.

The Marriot is a nice hotel and reasonable. You will park under the old control tower. Flight planning is the building to the left of the terminal. Customs is in the terminal on the extreme left side.

Thuinderstorms in the summertime everyday. Be very careful if they are on the approach course, I say again, you do not want to deviate from the course.
icon24.gif

AK

Been there hundreds of times. Basically what he says. The controllers for the most part have no idea. Basically they will just clear you for the approach and you are on your own. Follow the approach and departure to the letter.
They also have been known to go on strike with no advance notice.

Thuinderstorms in the summertime everyday. Be very careful if they are on the approach course, I say again, you do not want to deviate from the course.
icon24.gif

AK

I'll second and third that. The approach into the airport must be followed to the letter. If you're a two pilot crew brief the approach a couple of times and plan ahead in case of abnormalities. I'll never forget shooting an approach IMC into Guatemala and remember looking UP, not down, and seeing houses on the side of the mountain while we were down between the mountains.

If you do get the chance to go in during the day in VMC conditions, you will see some smoking mountaintops. Those are not volcanoes, those are airplanes that did not exactly follow the approach.

Been there about 10 times and each time is different. The biggest problems is the inconsistancy of the ATC controllers and the amount of traffic in the area and pretty much all of them are talking spanish. Be prepared for cleared for the approach from 150 miles out and your on your own. Know the terrain and be familiar with all the approaches and fixes in the terminal and enroute area. Know your MSA and MEA's.

From the previous posts from the experienced, would be curious to know if your insurance is good down there.

Latest resources

Back