• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Beech Travel Air systems

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Great, now can we please let this thread die and move on to Regional posts?

The TravelAir will never die!!! Many fond memories in that thing. So, what do you want to talk about? Skywest hiring? ASA losing flying? Spikey Ipod people? How big E170's are? It wasn't regional related (although the info is for an interview) but it was different, and that is ok with me.

The TravelAir will never die!!! Many fond memories in that thing. So, what do you want to talk about? Skywest hiring? ASA losing flying? Spikey Ipod people? How big E170's are? It wasn't regional related (although the info is for an interview) but it was different, and that is ok with me.

BAM!!!!!!!!!

The travel air I fly is a piece of ********************. Oil leaks on the floor of the cockpit, I have had numerous engine failures while at cruise, the door will not remain closed, the heat doesn't work on flights below 30F but works above 40F, Water can always be found in the sump samples even when it hasn't rained in three weeks, inop stickers are plentiful, when something breaks which isn't required it disappears from the airplane, the alternators have to be reset almost every flight, accumulators... what are those, the cockpit lights may or may not work at night, whats that switch do?, yes that smell is normal, trust me it's your first flight in a twin I don't need brakes over here on the right side...... all in all the travel scare is a beautiful beast just needs some loving!

The travel air I fly is a piece of ********************. Oil leaks on the floor of the cockpit, I have had numerous engine failures while at cruise, the door will not remain closed, the heat doesn't work on flights below 30F but works above 40F, Water can always be found in the sump samples even when it hasn't rained in three weeks, inop stickers are plentiful, when something breaks which isn't required it disappears from the airplane, the alternators have to be reset almost every flight, accumulators... what are those, the cockpit lights may or may not work at night, whats that switch do?, yes that smell is normal, trust me it's your first flight in a twin I don't need brakes over here on the right side...... all in all the travel scare is a beautiful beast just needs some loving!

sounds like great airline training to me!

Alternators? I flew a 1958 POS that might have 80% of the elevator left from corrosion.

It's just like any trainer that's been ridden hard and put away wet for 40+ years. I hate to think of how some of the Duchesses will look in another 15-20 years of ME training. At least the structure of the Travel Air is Bonanza/Baron, not Sierra/Musketeer. Beech did something right with that basic design, as the Bonanzas and Barons coming out of Wichita today share an awful lot in common with the basic structure of the original Bonanza - landing gear, fuselage, windows, etc. I'll take an old Beech over a newer Cessna or Piper any day.

I have a lot of time in a Travel Air that was never used as a trainer and it was and is a great airplane - 155 kts, 20 gph, TWO engines, great IFR platform IF it's been maintained properly (read PREVENTATIVE, not REACTIVE maintenance, hangared, etc.). It IS an older airplane and it has things that need to be addressed before they become problems. If you take care of an airplane it's amazing how much better it performs, no matter how old. If a plane is constantly flown by ham-fisted students, maintained by penny-pinching flight schools, and exposed to the elements, the results are predictable. THOSE airplanes are POS's, as any plane in such a position would be over time.

As Mark C. would say. "Theres nothing wrong with the airplane. YOU just need to learn how to fly it."

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back