Beech 1900??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

MAK

What are those little vertical "fins" attached to the bottom of the Beech 1900's T-tail???

They kinda look like radio antennas, but I notice a lot of other little aerodynamic thingies on the aircraft and thought they might be for that.

Thanks dudes and dudettes.

The horizontal surfaces are called "stabilons" and the little vertical ones are called "tailets" (taillets? I don't remember).

The stabilons are there to improve pitch stability and improve stall-recovery characteristics. The tailets are there to improve directional stability in the same situation.

As I recall, the reason for having all of those unattractive appendages hanging out there is that it was basically a low-cost and easy-to-engineer alternative to electronic flight control systems.

That and it is great for confounding anyone who knows anything about aesthetics. :)

well of course you know the winglets are to improve fuel efficiency by reducing drag, the tailets do the same thing since obviously the tail is an upside down wing. 1900 also has Stabilons, those are the small wing like horizontal fixtures on the aft fuselage just below the empinage. As mentioned before, they were added to improve pitch stability for an unusually wide CG range (4%mac to 40%mac), they also provide exceptionally positive recovery characteristics form the deep stall regime. They also have Strakes, these are the two longated fins that run along the fuselage from the back towards the cargo door on the belly side of the plane. these also assist in directional control and stability. And of course those two great big fans on the front of those jet engines act as excellent speed brakes when put into flight idle.

1900 load factor

jetdriven said:
at mesa its about 900-1,000$ per hour.
When I was at MAPD nine years ago, I heard that Larry Risley loved the 1900s and hated the Brasilias. He said that he made money on every 1900 flight that had at least two paying pax.

"they also provide exceptionally positive recovery characteristics form the deep stall regime."

It's not a complete recurrent GLA ground school until somebody mentions the deep stall regime.

Tha stabilon doesn't start flying again until 140 kias.

fly26 said:
"they also provide exceptionally positive recovery characteristics form the deep stall regime."

It's not a complete recurrent GLA ground school until somebody mentions the deep stall regime.

You and I are flying an aircraft with a possible deep stall problem. I somehow doubt that the mighty 1900 has a real deep stall problem. I never heard about it in the 1900 training I got. Enlighten me.

regards,
8N

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back