• NC Software is having a Black Friday Sale Event thru December 4th on Logbook Pro, APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook, Cirrus Elite Binders, and more. Use coupon code BF2020 at checkout to redeem 15% off your purchase. Click here to shop now.
  • NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

Beech 1900 D system ?

chperplt

Total Time
Anyone know what the Transponder normal/override switch is actually for?

vja217

Richmond, VA
Total Time
2nd xpndr

Doesn't that toggle between your primary and secondary transponders?

chperplt

Total Time
No, it doesn't do that... There is a switch on the transponder itself that toggles between #1 and #2.

Jack Hass

Total Time
6000+
believe it toggles the transponder between the captains and Fo's altimeter

chperplt

Total Time
Nope.. There is a toggle switch right next to the normal/override switch that does that.

flint4xx

Total Time
10000+
If you have Tcas, I think you can remove it and then operate the transponder via the over-ride since there are some shared components. It has been awhile so don't quote me.

1800 RVR

Sitting reserve...
Total Time
From my understanding, the norm/override switch was for ground ops when they are using surface movement radar. It was to help identify your location. It's been awhile since I've flown the airplane, but I think that is what I remembered. (Then again, maybe the checkairmen were just blowing smoke up my backside...)

fly26

Total Time
If my memory serves me correctly, 1800RVR is right.

With the switch in the Normal position, the transponder only emits a signal in flight. In Override, it emits a continuous signal in flight AND on the ground.

chperplt

Total Time
Fly26

You are correct. I got an e-mail from a FlightSafety Beech guru and that's exactly what he said. The normal position will put the transponder in standy-by with weight on wheels.