• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Becoming a career aviator is rough!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Crap man, that's rough. He's lucky he got out at all.

Looks like a Pawnee. Is that at Woodbine?

What happened? Engine failure?

Banner towing is really dangerous, usually lose 1-3 a year in NJ alone.

CE

(hope the guy's ok)

Banner towing is dangerous? Is it possible to have a more benign assignment?

Most of those doing the banner towing are more than likely entry level pilots with little experience, trying to "build time." A higher percentage of incidents occuring in such an arena doesn't make the job dangerous.

avbug said:
That's a very zen viewpoint worthy of some contemplation.

The best single piece of advice I received as a young pilot was delivered in two words: Stay tense!
Hahaha...I hear you bro. I plan on straying tense for a long time.

avbug said:
Banner towing is dangerous? Is it possible to have a more benign assignment?

Most of those doing the banner towing are more than likely entry level pilots with little experience, trying to "build time." A higher percentage of incidents occuring in such an arena doesn't make the job dangerous.

SO, we should require that banner pilots have at least 5000 hours.
Ya know, so the 'time builders' don't make the industry look bad.:rolleyes:

CE

Skyboy722 said:
What I will say is this: I realize now that when I was "paying my dues" I was entirely too anxious for the "next step" to arrive. Little did I know I was experiencing the best times of my life. This is not to say that it's all downhill from here, but take some time to "smell the roses". You'll never get this back, and believe it or not, you'll miss it. Indeed, as a wise man once said, "Enjoy it while it lasts".

AMEN! That's my philosophy with instructing--hang around a bit and actually try to learn something. Instructing is great!

-Goose

Yeah, I was around Wildwood; just later in the day. Heard about Andy, hope he makes out ok, but that is one of the worst planes to crash in out there; especially with the extra 40 gal in the hopper.

And Avbug may be right, it isn't dangerous in and of itself really. The problem is you're putting low time guys in planes manuvering low-level with little training, and spending all day low-and-slow. Any mistake you make, there isn't much time to correct.

That being said; we know it may be a cake assignment for a high-time fire bomber and ag pilot stud like you. But for a 250 hour wet behind the ears CFI, it is a bit of a change of pace for them. They rarely spend more than a minute at a time below 500 agl. Now they're spending hour after hour down there, cut the guy some slack!

It sucks. Be safe out there. I'll be back next weekend.

wrxpilot said:
A repo man spend his life getting into tense situations!
Dude, say it like you mean it!

"A repo man spend his life getting into tense situaitons?"

SO, we should require that banner pilots have at least 5000 hours.
Ya know, so the 'time builders' don't make the industry look bad.

No one said any such thing, least of all me. However, the assertion that towing banners is dangerous in the least, is ridiculous. Five thousand hours of five hundred; very little maneuvering, very little action, merely a pickup, a drop, and a lot of low-stress flying in between.

I guess I wouldn't know about that...having opened and run a banner tow business as a working CFI.

It's as dangerous as you make it. If you find it dangerous, it's not the job. It's the pilot.

Latest resources

Back