BE76 or PA23

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

a-v-8er

Looking for opinions on which plane you'd choose to fly to build time if the choice stood between these two (BE76 or PA23)?

The price will come to just about the same in the end regardless of which one I pick, so I'm just looking for opinions from people who've flown one or both of these planes. Thanks!

Which PA-23 - the Apache or the Aztec? If the price is the same, I'd imagine you mean the Apache, but I figured I'd ask. The Duchess is definitely a nicer plane than the Apache - at least as far as performance goes. I like the way the Apache handles, but it's a VERY marginal single engine performer. The Duchess isn't spectacular either, but at the lower altitudes it does well enough. Also with the Duchess, you get a much more modern panel. So between those two, I'd choose the Duchess.

Now if you mean an Aztec - I'd probably choose it over the Duchess. More power and just more airplane. It's also quite roomy inside. I've never flown an Aztec before though - so I can't really compare the handling of the two. Maybe someone else can elaborate...

A couple of questions might be in order here. Is this for you? Since you are a CFI are you using this to become a MEI? Or are you just building ME time? I have not flown the Duchess, but have flown the Seminole. And have been told they are similar in handling. I have also flown Apaches, Aztecs and Twin Comanches. Among other light twins. If you are just building ME time or going for your MEI rating, I suggest the Duchess. It is a much nicer aircraft. However, I would get some experience in the Apache. It has been my experience that pilots who got the ME rating in the Apache are better ME pilots.

Why? Because even if they do everything right the aircraft may not climb. If they don't do everything right, it will diffenantely descend. Also the required use of the systems in the aircraft makes these pilots more comfortable with systems usage.

It really comes down to what you want to do with this flight time and what you want to accomplish.

Thanks for the replies guys! Yes, this time is for me and I'll be using it to build more time and possibly also take my MEI at the same time. Mostly though, I'm looking for a good opportunity to get really comfortable in a light twin and get some actual. I'll probably be doing this with a friend and we've flown before practicing more CRM and alike. If I can get my MEI as well, I will - but right now that's just the bonus and not the primary reason why I'm doing this.

BTW, this PA23 is an Apache and not an Aztec. Just like one respondent said, the panel in the Duchess does seem more up to date and just by the looks - I kind of favor that plane already. If I get my MEI, I'll most likely be instructing in PA44's and PA34's afterwards. Would it be better to fly the Duchess in that case? Previously I've only flown PA34's.

If anyone has more thoughts or input, feel free to add your opinions... Thanks!

If you're going to fly some trips to build time, I think I'd take the Duchess. It's more comfortable inside than the Apache and is just a nicer ride overall. Also, it'll be a real easy transition to the PA44.

Rick made an interesting point about Apache pilots being better ME pilots...it's definitely a plane with more quirks systems wise. The Duchess is about as straightforward as light twins go. Also, to get any climb out of the Apache (assuming you're in conditions that will allow any climb to begin with), you pretty much have to do everything right. The Duchess will allow a little slop in airspeed around blue line and still climb. Dunno if any of this matters to you, but it might be something to think about.

Duchess

For what it's worth, I took my ATP ride in a Duchess and liked it. There's nothing quite like Beech, the Cadillac of light aircraft.

Duchess

I would say....get experience in both the airplanes...I do however prefere the Duchess over your other choices. The Duchess has counter rotating props which is pretty cool....no doubt you know the advantages of that...also if you do happen to loose your engine left engine in the aztec you had better make sure you understand that you also loose your gear and that must be pumped down. Sitting in IMC pumping my gear down trying to stay on glide slope doesn't sound like a good time to me. Many people can also handle it just fine so I guess it is up to you and your crazy skills.

Happy flying

If you plan on doing Instrument work, I would recommend the Duchess. I got my private Multi in a Duchess and my Comm. Multi in an Apache. My apache was a 1955 model. It only has 1 vacuum pump, which means if you lose your right engine while in IMC you had better be getting the HELLOUT. I would imagine they fixed this quirk in later models, but that's just one thing you should be aware of.

Ok. I've pretty much decided not to fly the PA23 since I think I'll have little use for the experience in my work flying other twins later. See, if I had the money to be checked out in each airplane that'd be great, but I have to choose one and make it my final decision (this time around anyway).

Also, looking into a couple of Seminole places in the area. How big of difference is there between the Duchess and the Seminole built in the same era (not the new Seminoles that were built after 1995)? The two planes are almost equal in size, look, equipment and so on - anyone here flown both? Which one would you lean towards?

Latest resources

Back