Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

F16fixer

Hey guys,

I have almost 600hr total time, and about 150 of that is twin time. I 'm happy instructing right now and averaging about 12hrs a week. I figured it couldn't hurt to start looking into some job options that are out there.
My question is should I have my ATP written completed and an FCC Lic. in my pocket. Or do most people that get hired at lower times not have these boxes checked yet?

Just trying to get a jump on things. Instructing really slows down during the winter months in MN, so I figured I would start investigating my options now and be prepared for later.

Thanks everyone,

Fixer

I had my FCC, but no ATP written when I was hired (around 550 TT)...don't know if that helped though. I just recently started studying for my ATP written.

f16fixer,

get your ATP now why you are nice and current. Be ahead of the game, so when the opportunity pops up, you don't have to wait to pounce. Good luck.

Check Part 61. You will need to meet the requirements of the certificate to take the ATP written. You will most definately need a FCC certificate to operate internationally. A majority of charter companies make this a requirement for hiring.

You do not need to meet the aeronautical experience requirements of Part 61 to take the ATP written. You only have to be 21 years of age, as it expires after two years and you cannot take the practical for the ATP until 23. I took my ATP written at 21 years old and 800 total time.

i concur with boilerup... the experience requirements are in order to have an ATP certificate, not to take the written.

i suggest to take the written. its usually not a requirement, but some employers like to see it completed. get as much done as you can, it shows your commitment, initiative and that you're prepared for the job ahead.

Thanks

I appreciate the advice. I guess my only other concern is that I might not have enough total time in 2 years when it expires.

if you are hired by a part 121 and some 135 carriers before the written expires (and continue to work there), your written will not expire. reference: FAR 61.39 (b) and/or Air Transportation Operations Inspector's Handbook, Order 8400.10 65. EXTENDING VALIDITY PERIODS OF ATP
KNOWLEDGE TEST RESULTS-FAR § 61.39(b).

Yeah, I guess I should have looked in that one book that has all those regs and stuff in it. My mistake.

Thanks for the help

Some days it's more fun typing than reading

Latest resources

Back