Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Palerider957 said:
Lead sled:

I remember when TKS came out for the moony's about 10 years ago, if I remember it was a $70K option. It might be a little much to put into an older plane. Thanks a lot for the Baron link, it's great!
It won't cost anything near that amount, but that's not to say that it's not spendy. There are a couple of websites for TKS addons that show pricing. A known ice certified system will cost "just" $30K to $40K. (When it comes to aviation, money takes on a whole new meaning. If you think that's bad wait until you start messing around with jets. :eek: )

You've got to remember that merely adding the equipment DOES NOT make you legal if you end up using it. You're best bet, if stuff like being legal matters to you, is getting something already certified for known icing - best to let someone else take the depreciation hit. As far as light twins go, your choices are somewhat limited - but you can get a descent airplane for less than $200K. The cheapest known-ice twins are probably the Seneca IIs or later model Aztecs, followed by later Cessna 310s. I know, I know, none of those fly nearly as nice as the 55 Barons do, but unless you're will to plop down and additional $40K or so onto the table you're going to be really limited as to just when you can fly the beast once winter sets in. Those pesky forecasters just love adding the phrase "chance of icing in clouds or precipitation" to cover their posteriors. (And unfortunately, that's all it takes any more.)

'Sled

Palerider957 said:
As for gettin a Duke, I have heard horror stories about these planes. I know one fellow who ones one and his plane spends more time in the shop then flying. I cold be wrong, but that's my impression.
QUOTE]

True, they can bite you on the maintenance if things haven't been kept up. Other than a bad batch of engines from Lycoming with weak cams and lifters awhile back they are pretty dependable birds. They tend to be more like a King Air than a Baron in systems but you can still get them serviced by a decent piston FBO.

Latest resources

Back